• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honey Month

srhcb

September is National Honey Month! :smile:

Just last night, just by chance, I was going to toast some wild rice bread and noticed I was out of jelly/jam. It was Sunday night, and nothing conveniently located would be opened except convenience stores. :sad:

I did have a jar of honey in the cupboard though, so I buttered the toast and gave it a thin coat of honey. :cool:

mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmm :wub:

Does anybody have any favorite honey recipe to share? :hmmm:

SB (my regards to the bees :biggrin: )

mead! :wink:

dockhl, that rib recipe suggestion you gave sounds amazing! and i don't even usually like sweet "savory" (non-dessert) dishes!

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I am here in the land of milk and honey, at least metaphorically. Before me sits a scoop of yogurt, thick as ice cream, sitting in a bowl in a scoop well-rounded, creamy white and thick as French buttercream. Over the top of it and pooling around is golden Appalachian honey.

Easiest thing in the world to make and it always tastes good.

The yogurt itself is thicker than Fage and it costs the same for two pounds of it as a small container of Fage. Its name is Karnak. Grade A Plain Yogurt Village Style.

And although Karnak sounds like something from Star Wars, it is not scary at all.

My mom's honey nut drop cookies. We had hives and wonderful honey so this was a favorite (right behind the yogurt honey thing with a sprinkling of wheat germ and a few halved grapes)

3 c. flour

4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 c. unsalted butter (she used margarine cuz they thought it was healthier)

1 c. brown sugar

1 c. honey

1 egg

1 c. chopped walnuts (I like to toast them a little first)

350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

They start out crisp and you can keep them that way by leaving exposed, or put in closed container and they get soft.