• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upcoming New Restaurants

TAPrice

I know Robert Peyton has been to Patois. Maybe we can get him to post a review either here or on his blog.

http://www.appetites.us

Moderator's Note: Robert Peyton's reply has been split off into a new topic on Patois. You can find it here.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in at the original Taco San Miguel last weekend. A few things to report. First, they now have a cool logo and a motto: "Hecho en NOLA." Second, the place is a little more swank. Not swank by any means, but the card tables and folding chairs have been replaced with real tables, a nicely painted menu is in place and the employees all wear "Hecho en NOLA" shirts (and yes, I want one--in orange--if you've got me on your Christmas list). Third, they will soon have two additional locations. The first one will be on Williams out in Kenner. The second, according to a guy working at Taco San Miguel, will be around Carrollton and probably open in later January. The deal fell through on the first location Uptown, but they found another spot.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

• 2 weeks later...

Todd,

A friend of mine is opening Gimchi in Metairie. You're talking about the one behind the Safari carwash next to a bank I think. Funny you mentioned it because when I was down in New Orleans another friend of mine and I were talking about it. What he told me is that it was definitely a Korean focus but with sushi, not sure if just sushi bar or other Japanese fare. I didn't go in it, but he said they had put a lot into the restaurant and that they would have a nice bar for happy hour and typical New Orleans late night drinks. I they were planning on opening pretty soon.

I don't know much more than that...but maybe I can poke around to find out more.

Love to hear more about Gimchi. Maybe they're doing Korean sushi? I'm not that familiar with it, but I understand that Koreans have their own spin on sushi.

I'd love to hear more about it as well. For a while I was driving by once a week to see if they'd opened, but that got old fast.

From what I've read (here, I thought) the folks who own Gimchi also own Mikimoto, on Carrolton. I'll be very interested to see what they do with the place. I believe they're from China originally, so maybe we'll see some influence from there too?

I passed by that "RAW" place again today. It looked far from being ready to open.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, been AWOL for a few weeks. Happy New Year all!

Talked to my friend that is doing some managing with Gimchi. They opened on the 21st, not sure if it was advertised much, sounded like a soft opening for now. He said it was Korean and Japanese Sushi. Not Korean sushi. Of course, I will be sure to go when I am back in New Orleans next. But if anyone eats there, I'm curious of your experience. And can pass it along to the mgmt if constructive :smile:

Huh, thought I'd been by since the 21st, with no luck, but then I guess we've had the holidays intervening.

I'm not one that waits for a restaurant to get its sea legs before checking it out. I'll try to post some thoughts when I get over there.

Update: Gimchi is open for dinner, Tuesday through Sunday (I think) from 5 to 10.

I went by today for lunch, and ended up at Korea House instead.

Edited by Robert Peyton (log)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got my wish. We now have Indian on the north shore. India 4 U has opened on 190 and a second location is coming soon where Shane's Rib Shack was.

I picked up the there night on my way home. It was not bad. Not Nirvana, but not bad. In their defense, it was take out and they had only just opened a few days prior.

They are a small chain out of Mississippi, and evidently the owners also own a stone company - one made a point to tell me when I commented on the decor. They certainly spent a small fortune on the build out and made plenty use of their own product.

We got some of the usual suspects; butter chicken, saag paneer, lamb korma, and naan. The Korma was VERY tasty and the butter chicken was pretty good to. We were a little disappointed in the saag, but not enough to write them off. My wife said if they are any good, we will become regulars - I pointed out that even if they were mediocre, we would probably become regulars.

I will eat there again in the coming weeks I am sure, and I will report back.

On another note, it looks like Abita has gotten a new cafe by the library. I know nothing about it, but if I discover anything I will report that too.