• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upcoming New Restaurants

TAPrice

I guess fall in New York is the time when everyone looks forward to new restaurants. And I know this only because the New York Times prints a big article about it. They do mention openings around the country in a side article, but the information on New Orleans is scant:

NEW ORLEANS Leah Chase hopes to reopen Dooky Chase soon in her still devastated Tremé neighborhood.

So what's opening around town soon?

I've heard that that the little Brazilian place on Canal finally opened. Anyone been? What's the name?

The owner of Tacos San Miguel has talked about a new, bigger place on Carrollton with drinks and a larger menu.

There is a Latin American place under construction in the Lower Garden District across from Aidan Gill.

Raw, which boasts the most embarrassing sign in New Orleans, should be opening soon between Sucre and La Divina.

A Korean place is opening soon in Metairie I believe. Ginshi is the name, I think.

I guess Table One will be something new soon.

Patois, in the old Nardo's space, looks very promising.

The Chinese buffet on St. Charles across from Igor's looks less promising.

And hey, even Al Copeland looks like he's about to reopen his restaurants. Although that's not necessarily a good thing.

What else is on the horizon?

Edit: I forgot to mention that Donald Link has some secret plan up his sleeve. Also, Scott Boswell hopes to reopen Stanley soon on Jackson Square.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I guess fall in New York is the time when everyone looks forward to new restaurants. And I know this only because the New York Times prints a big article about it. They do mention openings around the country in a side article, but the information on New Orleans is scant:
NEW ORLEANS Leah Chase hopes to reopen Dooky Chase soon in her still devastated Tremé neighborhood.

So what's opening around town soon?

I've heard that that the little Brazilian place on Canal finally opened. Anyone been? What's the name?

The owner of Tacos San Miguel has talked about a new, bigger place on Carrollton with drinks and a larger menu.

There is a Latin American place under construction in the Lower Garden District across from Aidan Gill.

Raw, which boasts the most embarrassing sign in New Orleans, should be opening soon between Sucre and La Divina.

A Korean place is opening soon in Metairie I believe. Ginshi is the name, I think.

I guess Table One will be something new soon.

Patois, in the old Nardo's space, looks very promising.

The Chinese buffet on St. Charles across from Igor's looks less promising.

And hey, even Al Copeland looks like he's about to reopen his restaurants. Although that's not necessarily a good thing.

What else is on the horizon?

Edit: I forgot to mention that Donald Link has some secret plan up his sleeve. Also, Scott Boswell hopes to reopen Stanley soon on Jackson Square.

Not trying to be a smarty but...

1. Carnavale de Brazil - I hear you select your meats and pay by the pound

2. Mayas is the name of the place across from Aidan Gill and it's been a long time coming.

3. re: Raw - 1983 called and they want their sign back; very Kajagoogoo. That whole facade is nuts - talk about possible style over substance...

4. The Korean place is going to be called Gim Chee (chi)

5. Table1 will NOT become a Camellia Grill but it's not clear what it will be and the owners don't know either.

6. Japanese buffet across from Igor's an ddown the street near Zea, a new Chinese restaurant with Korean...so I'm told.

7. Shane Pritchett, formerly Exec Chef at Delmonico is opening a resto in the old Le Cirque space.

Then there's the new hibachi tables at Little Tokyo on Bienville (I love hibachi and yes, I know it's not posh), El Rinconcito on Carrollton, the addition of taco truck style tacos at Superior Grill...

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that while I love me some Melissa Clark, last week's Restaurant Preview (the part that covered outside of NYC) was TOTALLY LAME when it came to New Orleans. The only thing she had to write was that Mrs. Chase "hopes" to open Dooky Chase soon???? Duh. I guess there's just nothing else going on here for Ms. Clark to mention?? No La Provence with Rene Bajeux, no Bistro Daisy, no Patois, no nothing??? Bah - that stuff makes me nuts! The NYTimes just doesn't get the New Orleans restaurant scene at all.

Edited by LorinGaudin (log)

Thanks to both of you guys for posting all of this good stuff. Finally--a message board that is ahead of local print outlets! You both rock. Somebody tell me more about the Korean places....is either of the new ones going to offer BBQ? Like hibachi, it's not posh but it IS fun & delicious.

I don't know yet whether there will be Korean BBQ at either of the new places, but I'll let you know when I find out. Meantime, Korea House has grills in the middle of their tables and the bbq is quite good.

Here's some serious scoop. Next week, at 1600 St. Charles Avenue (right across the street from Zea), a restaurant called West Indies opens. It is a sister restaurant to the Baru in Kenner. According to the owners we can excpect a similiar menu, slightly upscale, but with very little, if any, price differences from the Kenner spot and they are going to keep the food "real" - a blend of Latin cuisines, heavy on the Cuban and Honduran. :cool:

Wow, that is a scoop. What was in that space before? There really is a Latino revolution going on.

P.S. I was at Korea House last week and found it to be solid. Not that I don't want more options.

Are you talking about where Bravo was or that place on the corner across the street that they have been working on forever (actually, Bravo was farther down the street before those cheeseballs bailed out, so it must be the place on the corner)? It looked like they were doing a pretty good job last time I looked.

Now if we could just get Al to clean up his part of the world, that end of St Chuck would be looking much perkier.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Are you talking about where Bravo was or that place on the corner across the street that they have been working on forever (actually, Bravo was farther down the street before those cheeseballs bailed out, so it must be the place on the corner)? It looked like they were doing a pretty good job last time I looked.

Now if we could just get Al to clean up his part of the world, that end of St Chuck would be looking much perkier.

Bravo and the place on the corner (you're talking about the place with the fancy brass railings, right?) are on the same side of the street as Zea. I'm thinking it's the place that was the St. Charles Porter House bar right before the storm.

Either way, that's good news. I'm not a huge fan of the Uptown Baru, but I've heard nothing but good things about the original, unconnected place, in Kenner. Haven't been, but I need to get there.

Yeah, it sounds like our old neighborhood is turning around.

Edited by TAPrice (log)

Bravo and the place on the corner (you're talking about the place with the fancy brass railings, right?) are on the same side of the street as Zea. I'm think it's the place that was the St. Charles Porter House bar right before the storm.

Either way, that's good news. I'm not a huge fan of the Uptown Baru, but I've heard nothing but good things about the original, unconnected place, in Kenner. Haven't been, but I need to get there.

Yeah, it sounds like our old neighborhood is turning around.

You're right. I don't know why I was thinking the same side of the street. I have to say though, having a brew place next to a health club always seemed like a win/win. ;)

I would like to know what Al intends on doing with that hulk of a hotel that he has never so much as cleaned up (or barely, anyway). It must be making Ann Rice wish that she could conjure up a bunch of bloodsuckers to get him.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I did a Williams Blvd food crawl yesterday and today. Lots of fun stuff to share. Some to be seen on Steppin' Out and some for radio. Sure wished I had your Spanish-speaking skillz as I cruised Kenner. The baked goods were magnificent. I found a tiny, new Mexican supermarket that is so sweet.

Baru in Kenner was very good - fresh, pretty plates, beautiful room that took me by surprise considering the strip mall it's in and the uninspired facade. I'm all a-twitter.

I found a tiny, new Mexican supermarket that is so sweet.

Are you holding the name and address until after you announce it on the radio this Saturday? :biggrin: If not, then give us the info.

I'm overwhelmed every time I drive down Williams. So many options for Latino and other ethnic food. New places seem to be popping up all the time. And I still have to hit many of the old place. I just tried Norma's Cuban bakery a few weeks ago. A great little place that's been there for years.

If any one learns of something new and not boring for the north shore, please help a brotha out. I would kill for Korean or even better Indian food. There was a rumor that the Nirvana/Taj guys were looking but I have not heard anything.

If any one learns of something new and not boring for the north shore, please  help a brotha out. I would kill for Korean or even better Indian food. There was a rumor that the Nirvana/Taj guys were looking but I have not heard anything.

Happy to help. If I hear something, so will you.

If any one learns of something new and not boring for the north shore, please  help a brotha out. I would kill for Korean or even better Indian food. There was a rumor that the Nirvana/Taj guys were looking but I have not heard anything.

So, have you been to Castle Cafe in Covington? I understand the Middle Eastern food there is quite good. I haven't checked it out yet myself, but I thought I'd let you know about it, if you didn't already.

I saw mention of it in Tom 's latest letter and I have driven past it, but not tried it yet. It may be on the shortlist this weekend. I will let you (et al) know how it is.

That is if the Thai Flavor vs Thai Spice event does not happen this weekend. My better half and I want to get the same dishes from both to see who is actually better in a side by side comparison. Luckily Thai travels well.

Edited by syoung68 (log)

I saw mention of it in Tom 's latest letter and I have driven past it, but not tried it yet. I may be on the shortlist this weekend. I will let you (et al) know how it is.

That is if the Thai Flavor vs Thai Spice event does not happen this weekend. My better half and I want to get the same dishes from both to see who is actually better in a side by side comparison. Luckily Thai travels well.

How cool! Let me (us) know. I love a food smackdown.

Here is the website, but it doesn't have a menu yet. Maybe they'll get one up soon.

I saw a preliminary menu, but I can't find my copy of that. The food is grounded in classic French cuisine, with both some local and global elements. Overall light. It should be very seasonal and based on what's fresh at the moment. The chef, Aaron Burgau, spent the last six months as a market manager for the Crescent City Farmers Market. He plans to use all the connections he made with farmers and producers to supply the restaurant.

Also, they plan to do breakfast/brunch on both Saturday and Sunday.

There is a new restaurant going in where the "Perk U Later" coffee shop was in Abita Springs. I do not know details, but the since it is the owners of the Latino Grocery that are doing it, I assume it will have Latin food, but I could be wrong. It is VERY early in the process.

• 1 month later...

Alright, a few questions regarding new openings. One, has anyone been to Patois? If so, any reviews?

Two, what's going on with the Tacos San Miguel on Oak? Any sign of them opening soon? I'm really craving some of their tacos, but their original location is a bit out of my way...

I went very early to Patois (the first week, I think). It's good and has the potential to be great. A lighter touch than many other New Orleans restaurants. Great produce and seafood. The cocktails look interesting (variations on classics), but I didn't get to try them. The renovation to the space is very nice, which I wouldn't have thought possible in the old Nardo's spot.

Looks like Tacos San Miguel is stalled. Last time I called, they said there was a problem getting the lease on the Uptown spot. I haven't spoken to the owner, just random employees. So take that for what it's worth.