• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One if by Land, Two if by Sea

oakapple

RestaurantGirl reports that Craig Hopson, formerly chef de cuisine at Picholine, is making the jump to One if by Land, Two if by Sea. The restaurant will close in October for "a sizable makeover." Hopson will hire a new pastry chef, and the cooking will feature "exotic ingredients and bold world flavors on a menu that will be printed daily."

Even allowing the usual truth discount, given the source of this information, one clearly gets the impression that OIBL is actually trying to make the push to become a serious restaurant. There is no logical reason why it could not be, if the owners are truly intent upon doing so. I suppose the odds are slim, but it could be interesting to watch.

It's hard to get past our predisposition against it, but I don't think the décor is tacky at all. Its reputation for being one of this city's most romantic spots is entirely justified.

The first question is whether Hopson has the culinary chops. Supposing he does, the second question is whether he will get the support he needs from the front-of-house. When you've been running one kind of restaurant for decades, it's hard to become another kind of restaurant, even if you realize it and are intent on doing something new. Old habits die hard.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Chef Craig is quite the talented chef and I understand the owners are very interested in turning things around. Let's give it a go and see what happens. Who knows, maybe a year from now we'll be dying to get a table.

• 1 month later...

I tried to search for a thread on this but got "One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters" - how frustrating.

If there's not a thread to point me to, how is the food at this place?

I'm still looking for a nice place to take some guests for Christmas Dinner (Dec. 25) and they are open, but over the years I've heard mixed comments?

Any recent experiences?

And if you know of a better place open on Christmas Day, please say.

Thanks!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

it's been discussed. the consensus here is the same as anywhere else (including Bruni's devastating critique):

the food sucks. the crowd is entirely B&T couples getting engaged or having their anniversaries. the decor is tacky or romantic (there are differences of opinion).

it's kind of like Tavern on the Green or Tao...in the sense that it does a phenomenal amount of business...just not NY'ers.

edit: I think Town is normally open on Christmas Day.

Edited by Nathan (log)

The reputation of the food is that it is mediocre and grossly overpriced (except for the Beef Wellington, their signature dish).

A few months ago, a new chef was brought in—someone with a legit. background. But there have been no reviews since then, so you're definitely taking your chances. However, it is a beautiful room, and to folks with middle-brow tastes it could very well seem like a special night out.