• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: MelissaH and phaelon56 - Salt Potatoes and Onions, but n

snowangel

Melissa, I noted that you used Paula Red's for your dessert.  What's your preferred apple for baked things?  Here in MN, it's the Haralson.  In fact, so beloved that if orchards also have restaurants and bakeries, they don't sell them, just bake with them.

I used Paula Reds this time because it's still early season apples. Later in the season I'll use Northern Spies, with a couple of Ida Reds thrown in because those are Casey's favorites and ones we have on hand. The Paula Reds seemed just a little sweeter and softer than I'd aim for, but in mid-September one can't be picky.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Those half moon cookies look a lot like Black and Whites!!

But they're not the same! They never will be! Any more than a pecan pie without nuts will be the same as a butter tart (which I also love, after many business trips to Ontario).

Also, something I didn't note before. In Owen's picture of the half-moon, you can see his hand behind the wax paper holding the cookie. A half-moon is a substantial piece of baked good. In my experience, a black and white is a much daintier pastry. Half-moon = 5" diameter -- black and white about 3". Not that I'm a size queen or anything.

There are things that clearly share a common ancestor, but have evolved into separate entities. And two of those are the Black and White and Half-moon Cookie.

I've never heard of a dainty black and white, traditional-style. Black and whites are generally quite large, as big across as my hand. The last batch a friend brought up from NYC was so-called mini black and whites, and those were the 3-inch variety. But no, that's not standard.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

In a past life, I'll wager the smoker on the bottom was a Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy"-class locomotive....

That is one mighty impressive piece of equipment!

Just curious... do you mean the three cooking chambers were boilers that have been repurposed?

John-John has three other smokers (two of which are visible in the picture of the front of his operation). This big one was custom built for him about 7 or 8 years ago and he talked about if for months before it arrived. For the first few summers it was in operation he hauled it around to his temporary sites with a short bed 1950's era red firetruck - very classy rig overall.

Owen, how does one learn to do "coffee art?"

And, let me add how much I've enjoyed this blog. As Diana considers colleges in your area, you just might find me on your doorsteps seeking coffee art and apple cake next fall.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"