• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Let's hear it for East Dulwich!

Having left Scotland to make my fortune in England’s glittering, gold-paved capital, I have been surprised to see very little culinary coverage of my new neighbourhood, East Dulwich.

Within a five minute walk you can get decent French bistro (Le Chardon), very good British (Palmerston and, more impressively. Franklins), excellent Indian (Tandoori Nights, and ,if you can handle the schlep, Ganapati) and tremendous pizza and beers at the Gowlett (best pub in SE London?).

On top of this we have a great butcher (William Rose), fishmonger (Moxons) and cheese shop (the Cheese Block), as well as a good if very overpriced deli.

So I'm using my first 'new topic' on eGullet to simultaneously pay my respects to my newfound home and also hopefully to be guided towards some more of London’s unsung hotspots

Having left Scotland to make my fortune in England’s glittering, gold-paved capital, I have been surprised to see very little culinary coverage of my new neighbourhood, East Dulwich.

Within a five minute walk you can get decent French bistro (Le Chardon), very good British (Palmerston and, more impressively. Franklins), excellent Indian (Tandoori Nights, and ,if you can handle the schlep, Ganapati) and tremendous pizza and beers at the Gowlett (best pub in SE London?).

On top of this we have a great butcher (William Rose), fishmonger (Moxons) and cheese shop (the Cheese Block), as well as a good if very overpriced deli.

So I'm using my first 'new topic' on eGullet to simultaneously pay my respects to my newfound home and also hopefully to be guided towards some more of London’s unsung hotspots

North Londoners dont admit south london exists. Most of the napkin sniffers are north londoners.I live in Streatham myself. East Dulwich is far too pricey for me though. You must be getting paid a lot of gold by the sassenachs you work for!

S

East Dulwich isn't quite unheralded - Franklins and Palmerston have both been well reviewed by the nationals, and Tandoori Nights has a reputation as one of the best South London Indians not in Norwood or Tooting. The Rosendale is supposedly worth a try, although it looks quite expensive for a suburban gastropub... For meat, you should give Mr Sparkes little van in Northcross Road a try (he's there Friday and Saturday). Best lamb I've ever cooked (tip: but only get the bacon he's cured himself - really delicious - not his bought in stuff). He's a proper butcher so you get well cut/trimmed meat and he also knows where it all comes from. There's an old fashioned wet fishmonger in Nunhead Lane worth exploring as an alternative to Moxon.

Well, I think you will find a few posts of mine - I think I already did a review of the Palmerston which was always my favourite and I much preferred it Franklins. You forgot to mention Green and Blue - excellent wine shop with attached bar to sample the wines at low prices.....and what about the Sea Cow - is that still there? I've lost touch since I cashed in my equity and moved out to Essex ;-) East Dulwich was just becoming a bit too chi-chi for me....

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

Yes Green & Blue is indeed a bit of a treasure trove, and great staff too... I'm really not that convinced bt the Sea Cow, I can't quite get used to 'upmarket' chippies. Saying that, Ollies in Herne Hill is pretty bloody good! Gavin, I definitely know what you mean about the area being 'chi-chi', as a newcomer though I never experienced it before it went that way.

Oh, and I went to eat at the Rosendale last week and really failed to see what all the hype was about. It's a beautiful building but the decor only reminded me of one of those chain pubs that put themselves in old banks etc, the food was decent enough but overpriced for what it was, the spirit and wine collection was excellent but the beer choices much less impressive, and the service was friendly but pretty shambolic.

Green & Blue in ED is excellent. They have recently opened a branch next to Clapham North tube and the food is really good (as well as the wine of course) but the service leaves a lot to be desired (based on three visits).

Viewers with long memories will of course remember Lordship Lane first won two stars for the original Chez Nico.

I have never been to the Franklins in Dulwich but the edition in Kennington is an excellent local Brit place.

The cheese shop on Lordship lane also has a commendable selection, with a nice range of groceries on the shelves to boot.

On occasion i have found excellent well marbled ribeye at the organic butchers.

Also do not forget Hope and Greenwood sweetshop up the road. 1950s kitsch think Enid Brighton. Hopefully opening of the new branch in Marylebone does not dilute their energies.

Also consider Belair house down Dulwich village way. Actually I think the menu looks a bit dull but chef from L'Etranger (an underrated fusion place in Kensington) is consulting, which is a good sign.

regards

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!