• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spice to Skin

mbjesq

I recently posted a musing about the lingering smell of Indian spices on the skin. I completely understand that fenugrek and cumin are a bit stinky when leached through the skin, of course, but the element that discomforts my nose the most I imagine to be turmeric. Yet I can find no reference anywhere to the power of turmeric to lend an unpleasant scent to sweat and skin. In fact, it is quite common (and a bit silly, perhaps) for South Indian women to topically apply turmeric to their faces on the notion that it is good for the complexion -- and it is, if your idea of beauty is looking like a jaundiced Martian. The point is: they don't seem to smell any worse than the rest of us. Perhaps it is the difference in eating the stuff and smearing it on. Or perhaps I'm smelling something different.

Any ideas? What's that smell?

mbjesq

www.memestream.org

• 2 weeks later...
I recently posted a musing about the lingering smell of Indian spices on the skin.  I completely understand that fenugrek and cumin are a bit stinky when leached through the skin, of course, but the element that discomforts my nose the most I imagine to be turmeric.  Yet I can find no reference anywhere to the power of turmeric to lend an unpleasant scent to sweat and skin.  In fact, it is quite common (and a bit silly, perhaps) for South Indian women to topically apply turmeric to their faces on the notion that it is good for the complexion -- and it is, if your idea of beauty is looking like a jaundiced Martian.  The point is: they don't seem to smell any worse than the rest of us.  Perhaps it is the difference in eating the stuff and smearing it on.  Or perhaps I'm smelling something different.

Any ideas?  What's that smell?

I can't see it being turmeric. It has little smell; it is used to mask (or dissipate) off flavours of fish and chicken by rubbing a paste of it on the offending meat before cooking. The yellow colour in turmeric (curcumin) breaks down to vanillin, so no nasties there either. My guess is something sulphural, like onion, garlic and/or asaphoetida (hing)

cheers

Waaza