• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feast of Fields

lauramart

Well, this was my third time at the Feast (first time without a hangover) and I was impressed.

My two favourite stops were Rare and Cactus Club.

I don't have my menu in front of me, so I can't describe tonight.

Two little complaints, only because I'm a picky eater. Too many tomatoes and too much duck. I guess the restaurants don't consult with each other before hand.

Well, this was my third time at the Feast (first time without a hangover) and I was impressed.

My two favourite stops were Rare and Cactus Club.

I don't have my menu in front of me, so I can't describe tonight.

Two little complaints, only because I'm a picky eater. Too many tomatoes and too much duck. I guess the restaurants don't consult with each other before hand.

This was my second FoF (too lazy to slog out to the Valley after it left UBC Farm). I enjoyed it and the weather was brilliant (rained last time). Overall I was slightly less impressed with the offerings as I still dream about some of the snacks served up at the last one.

Chambar and Rare were my top picks today -- Chambar offered a halibut and potato brandade on lemon pepper crostini, while Rare had a mini-taco with pork, tomatillo, onion, roasted corn and creme fraiche (?). Both were delightful but I would give a slight edge to the brandade as it was more appropriate for the venue -- the taco was very dribbly and hard to eat. Didn't stop me going back for seconds though.

Agree on the proliferation of duck and tomatoes; I actually felt sorry for some people behind us who were allergic/didn't like the red fruit. Finished off with some killer gelato from Dolce Gelato -- goat's cheese and honey. Creamy rich and decadent in the September sun.

Curious what grabbed you so much about the CC entry, lauramart. I think the inari pocket they served was on their menu back in 2005/6 so didn't seem very new to me.

Side note: it was a buzz to shake hands with John Bishop, who is Vancouver resto-royalty to me, and it was fun to see the likes of Romy Prasad and Rob Feenie manning their booths, in Chef Feenie's case singlehandledly doling out bits of a salmon he apparently caught himself last week (!). Did not see Chef Fowke anywhere though --maybe he was checking out the chickens? :raz:

Curious what grabbed you so much about the CC entry, lauramart. I think the inari pocket they served was on their menu back in 2005/6 so didn't seem very new to me.

The CC entry was new to me as I am not an adventurous eater. I am the type of person who orders the same thing off the menu every time and since I don't go to CC very often, this offering blew me away. I guess since it's free at F of F, I'll try pretty much anything whereas at a restaurant, I wouldn't want to try something new, not like it, but still have to pay for it.

I never got to try the Gelato as we were saving it for last, but they were closing up when we got there.

Edited by lauramart (log)

The CC entry was new to me as I am not an adventurous eater. I am the type of person who orders the same thing off the menu every time and since I don't go to CC very often, this offering blew me away. I guess since it's free at F of F, I'll try pretty much anything whereas at a restaurant, I wouldn't want to try something new, not like it, but still have to pay for it.

I never got to try the Gelato as we were saving it for last, but they were closing up when we got there.

Excellent point re the opp to try something new to you -- perhaps this is one of the key objectives of FoF and a fine one too! BTW, I'm with you re ordering the same thing esp at certain restos. I stick to about three options at CC when I occasionally go there for work-related functions.

PS I think the gelato guys seriously underestimated the demand for their product -- they were starting to run out at 2:45 when we nabbed our samples.

I have been going to FoF for years now, it seems to go back and forth between the UBC farm and Vista D'Oro. Location wise Vista D'Oro beats UBC but UBC is way more convenient to get to.

Given the perfect weather and ample food offerings I enjoyed it as usual. I second the Rare and Chambar offerings, pulled pork aways wins in my book! My 4 year old loved the balsamic injected cherry tomatoes from Aurora though.

We got there at 1:20pm at which point it was still fairly quiet with few lineups, good for getting some of the prime tastings. Feenie was offering his salmon in the beginning but later had some very good Proscuitto he was handing out. My son got into things and proclaimed he wanted to be a chef when he grew up, something he repeated to Feenie which generated some smiles.

After spending 20 minutes last time in line for Gelato with a cranky 2 year old I went there first to get him his fix which was good since they ran out about halfway through the event.

The longest line up was to be found at Pair Bistro who offered baked Oysters with corn on the cob, the cactus club smoked salmon with Sushi rice in a soy bean curd pocket were great and I liked the sandwiches at Terra Breads.

I couldn't resist the year's worth of chocolate from Chocolate Arts offered at the silent auction so I swooped in at the end of the auction and scored a winning bid. I now have 12 vouchers, each good for a treat from Chocolate Arts every month for the next year. Can't wait for October for my pumpkin truffles and chocolate pumpkin :smile:

Not many people seem to bring their kids. That's too bad since our son had a fabulous time rolling around in the grass under the sun while being fed all sorts of goodies.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Not many people seem to bring their kids. That's too bad since our son had a fabulous time rolling around in the grass under the sun while being fed all sorts of goodies.

Is the ticket price $15 for kids? If so, we'll be going for sure next year--as long as it doesn't interfere with my kids' soccer games/practice.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

It was my first FOF - and I really enjoyed it. Beautiful weather and venue

gallery_25348_1380_28408.jpggallery_25348_1380_14744.jpg

I don't have the full descriptions infront of me - but here are some highlights for me. I agree that tomatoes were in full force - but given the brief season that we had - I did not mind.

Savory Coast's risotto in endive cups. Nu's duck breast - delicous!

gallery_25348_1380_1501.jpggallery_25348_1380_8498.jpg

Aurora Bistro's gazpacho in heirloom tomato cups - I loved how these worked with the weather and venue - bright and refreshing - like eating an gushingly juicy tomato. Wild Rice's flatiron steak.

gallery_25348_1380_2303.jpggallery_25348_1380_6358.jpg

C's slow cooked salmon on heirloom tomatoes. Chambar's halibut brandade.

gallery_25348_1380_1118.jpggallery_25348_1380_14289.jpg

Rare's annatto braised pork on tortilla's - I could have eaten plates of this - Best in Show for me. Bishop's slow roasted tomatoes with chevre creme - sweet and intense - John Bishop is amazing - and his food is always spot on.

gallery_25348_1380_4419.jpggallery_25348_1380_8716.jpg

Rob Feenie's house cured proscuitto. It was served with a drizzle of peppery olive oil - a real show case of simplicity.

gallery_25348_1380_11844.jpg

I had a snooze under the shade of some trees, got stung by a bee, and watched the kids feed the free running chickens. Great way to spend an afternoon.

...how did you know about the chickens? I brought my young daughter and we spent the morning counting and patting chickens! I unfortunately had to leave just as the crowds arrived to go to Metro and run the day.

Great event and I respect all the time the big name chefs donated to the event. I was proud/honoured to be a part of it.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

...how did you know about the chickens? I brought my young daughter and we spent the morning counting and patting chickens! I unfortunately had to leave just as the crowds arrived to go to Metro and run the day.

Great event and I respect all the time the big name chefs donated to the event. I was proud/honoured to be a part of it.

Lucky guess :wink: Sorry to have missed you!

BTW, the Significant Engineer wanted me to add props to the Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co for their barbequed veggie pizza (biggest surprise of the day for me -- will have to seek out this product for home testing) and to Ethical Bean for their slightly spicy, orangey macchiato shots.