• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "tender center cut"?

JohnnyH

So Wendy's new commercials boast of their chicken sandwiches making use of only the breast's "tender center cut."

I have a strong suspicion that it's nothing more than pr puffery, but does it not have to be based on something? Does such a thing exist? If yes, why have I never heard of it?

It's ridiculous, but this is making me nuts. Please help.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I noticed that too. I don't think it can mean anything. I think it's a reflection on what we've become a society, marketing wise, I mean (maybe in general).

I had to laugh myself once when a local Chinese take-out place had printed on their new menu that went from dish-names only to verbiage, that not only is their Tangerine Chicken made with the finest imported tangerine peels (I'm quite sure it is not, them being a slop-house), that they said of a dish containing bok choy, "Our chef uses only the tender, center-cut part of the bok choy" - the irony in my case being that I adore the green leafy part of bok choy and sometimes have to beg local restaurants to save it for me as a vegetable instead of throwing it out - and this was one of those places.

And once when I was dining in a Jewish deli with a non-Jewish friend who was familiar with the lingo, we heard a woman come into the takeout-side and order "A pound of kosher salami, center-cut!". My friend asked me, "I know that with tongue, center cut can make a difference, but does it matter with salami?"

As far as Wendy's using only the chicken breast's "tender center cut", I think that's one advertising man who should be reprimanded, at the very least. Unless the woman ordering the salami was his mother.

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

sounds like bs that they are saying that for the money that they will get from some person who will buy the sandwich on this marketing alone.

there is a chicken tenderloin which is what most realchicken "fingers" are made out of. I think wendy's is trying to market on that.

but when fast food restaurants talk too much on their commercials/ads, it drives me nuts me being a cook because I just want to hear about the food and not a lot of philosiphical bs about it. I find that chain/franchise restaurants as well as poor menu writers write too much in the menu descriptions

"You're only as good as the last dish you sent out"- Nigel Webber

"Live to Cook"