• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sumeet multi-grind

ojisan

The Sumeet multi-grind seems to be unavailable, perhaps no longer made. What other options are people using to grind powders and pastes, and how well do they work? Options other than morter/pestle.

Monterey Bay area

The Sumeet multi-grind seems to be unavailable, perhaps no longer made. What other options are people using to grind powders and pastes, and how well do they work? Options other than morter/pestle.

We have a Preethi ChefPro Plus. It does a fine job of grinding Thai curry pastes smoothly as long as you make a large batch. It is too powerful for small batches, and immediately flings the ingredients against the walls of the blender jar.

The juice extractor is an amazing thing. We use it to make freezer jam. Do NOT use the Preethi to make Mexican hot chocolate (trust me on this - I am still finding chocolate spots on the ceiling).

I have not had much luck grinding dry spices with the Preethi - a whirly-blade coffee grinder seems to do a better job for the small batches that we typically make. The Preethi may do better on larger batches of dried spices, but we have not yet had cause to try that.

Good luck!

Can I ask where you have tried to obtain one from?

Can I ask where you have tried to obtain one from?

I spoke directly w/ Sumeet - there's an 800# on their website - some months ago. At that time they were looking for a new factory to build the Multi-grind, and hoped to have them again by last February. The website still says "temporarily out of stock".

Has anyone been able to buy one in the U.S. this year?

Monterey Bay area

Is this what you're looking for: Sumeet Asia Kitchen Machine Mixie Grinder (eBay)?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Is this what you're looking for: Sumeet Asia Kitchen Machine Mixie Grinder (eBay)?

That's the fancier version than the multigrind, but it will work just as well for grinding spices.

The importer is in Canada, his website doesn't list out of stock right now. The last time I spoke with him (several months ago now) he did have stock. He always has stock on the Asia machine.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to get one of these for almost 2 years now. I've had an order in at Sumeet since Feb. 06, but everytime I call, I'm told they'll have them in a few months. Very frustrating. I'm thinking about checking out the shops in Little India (in Artesia, CA) to see if any have leftover stock.

• 1 month later...

I have a Preethi Chef Pro Plus as well. I've only had it for a month or so though and not yet experimented with its capabilities. Have not ground any dry spices in it yet. From what I remember of using Indian style grinders, maybe adding a little water would help to grind dry spices?

For everything I've used it so far the machine has been a marvel.

Have never used the juice extractor yet. What do you use it for?

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, I am in the UK and I desperately want something similar to the Sumeet Asian Kitchen Machine, which unfortunatly I have only seen with a voltage that can be used in the US.

Does anyone know of a good equivalent that I can buy in the UK, or that at least works in the UK if I buy it abroad? I would really like to ask for it for Christmas, so I'd like replies soon please!!

I found this, which is another sumeet grinder which seems to do some similar things. Does anyone know if it's any good? Like, as good as the Asian Kitchen Machine, which is supposed to be there best product?

Hmm, I am in the UK and I desperately want something similar to the Sumeet Asian Kitchen Machine, which unfortunatly I have only seen with a voltage that can be used in the US.

Does anyone know of a good equivalent that I can buy in the UK, or that at least works in the UK if I buy it abroad? I would really like to ask for it for Christmas, so I'd like replies soon please!!

I found this, which is another sumeet grinder which seems to do some similar things. Does anyone know if it's any good? Like, as good as the Asian Kitchen Machine, which is supposed to be there best product?

That unit is essentially the Asia with one less jar, and you can buy the jar separately. I suspect you've already seen the NA Sumeet site here which explains the differences between the machines. Look under models.

If you really can't find what you need in the UK, you could always buy a step-down converter...

I bought an up/down converter to use some appliances here in the US i.e. ones that I purchased in France which use 220V/50hz I can now use in the US.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I have a friend who now lives in Leeds. She had either a Sumeet or something similar and wasn't happy with it, felt it was underpowered. She returned it and got a Morphy Richards Mixer Grinder that was recommended by one of the teachers at her daughter's school. She loves it. I can check back to find her email to me but I think the model is Icon classic.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

According to this web site, electricity in India is 240 volts, 50 cycles per second. Reportedly, the motors that Sumeet uses in the U.S. (120 volts, 60 cycles per second) have had problems. Since standard electricity in India is similar to that in the U.K., perhaps you could use the Indian Sumeet motor, which is supposed to be more reliable.

If you want to try contacting the manufacturer directly, here are the web sites for Sumeet and Preethi. Unfortunately, neither lists a distributor in the U.K. Surprising, with the large Indian population.

The forums on Another Subcontinent are another possible source of information. Good luck!

• 3 years later...

I'm bumping up this topic because I've been grinding curry pastes with a granite mortar and pestle this week, and today it occurred to me that I should finally buy a grinder/blender for making spice pastes.

Any recommendations of make and model? I worked with a good Sumeet years ago (somebody else's). This blog mentions grinders by Preethi and Meenumix.

http://www.wanderingspoon.com/ws/Sumeet_Mixer-Grinder_-_Wandering_Spoon.html

Advice on what to buy, please.

In England I have an Ultra Pride Plus. It's a wet grinder. This is good for larger quantities. Excellent for chutney, coconut pastes, masalas, idli and dosai. Heavy duty and it is heavy too!

Then of course there are a number of mixer-grinders (commonly called mixies in India) available. These are less heavy duty and do smaller amounts. They general have at least three containers - one for small quantities like small chutney batches. This can also do dry spices. Then there's a mid size grinder for dosa/idli batter, masalas, etc. Then finally there is a larger jar for blending.

I am actually on the lookout for a mixie for my flat here in India. Morphy Richards, Phillips and Bajaj seem to be big brands here in Allahabad. I was going to look for a Prethi as they are very well known but have not seen one. So I will be interested to know what you go for!

I know this is an old thread brought back from the dead, but I just noticed it and should add some comments about Sumeet. I've tried to buy one of those Asia Kitchen Machines at least three times in the past 5-6 years. It has never been in stock, and the customer service from the Canadian (North American) importer has been atrocious.

The first time I actually ordered it online. After a couple weeks I called and was told it was out of stock, but they would be receiving a new shipment soon. I was strung along for at least a couple months by promises of machines arriving any day now. By the end they weren't even answering their phone, and their voice mail was full (of complaints, no doubt). I gave them the benefit of the doubt again a couple years later because I really wanted to try their product, but again it was out of stock and I started getting a similar runaround. And so on...

I'm not sure how they stay in business if they don't have a product to sell. I've seen them for sale online at stores in the States, so I guess they must be shipping them down there? After my experience with their customer service I have serious misgivings about what would happen if anything went wrong with the machine.

I eventually ended up ordering a similar machine from another Indian importer in Mississauga. They shipped it out right away, and their customer service has been impeccable. I actually had a small out-of-warranty problem with it a few months ago, and they replied to me within hours on a Sunday evening to say they would ship out a replacement part on the Monday for a small charge, and walk me through installation over the phone.

I shopped at the local middle eastern store yesterday and noted that they now have a Preethi Nitro and offer spice grinding for customers (it has several containers), and also have a barrel type grinder (I assume is a wet grinder) that has a label Sowbagya (not quite sure of the spelling, I scribbled it rapidly) and I'm not sure how they use it. The lady was quite busy and distracted while answering my question. It looks smaller than the others I have seen in person (Butterfly & Premier).

I think she said it was for grinding lentils.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If you're looking to automate the mortar and pestle, you want a wetgrinder rather than a mixie. They use grinding stones rather than metal blades. They are not as versatile as mixies, but they are better for things like curry pastes where you want to crush the ingredients rather than chop them. I'll second Jenni's recommendation for the Preethi Ultra Pride+, and suggest you check out this thread:

Ultra Pride Wet/Dry Grinder