• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kylie Kwong

MsSumida

Just happened to catch this 'new' show on one of the more obscure cable channels...

Kylie owns and operates billy Kwong, a Chinese restaurant with updated cooking techniques and incredibly fresh ingredients in Sydney, Australia.

I saw only a couple of segments and am incredibly impressed. Great photography, simple Chinese preparations (!), great looking show. I'm hooked.

Some of the dishes looked so good, I bought her book Simple Chinese Cooking also filled with great pictures, actually amazing ones, simple recipes, and simply mouthwatering ideas.

http:/www.etuinc.com

A few years ago, I watched her show on the Food Network, every now and then. I found her enjoyable to watch. The food looks beautiful, and she has an obvious passion for cooking. However, I question how practical some of her dishes are for home cooks. She tends to be quite extravagant in her use of ingredients for what are otherwise simple dishes.

I also recommend her cookbook. Her food is incredibly simple and flavourful, and she's a great teacher. Her shows are inspiring both culturaly, as well as culinarily. One of the true bright spots of "TV chefs", for sure. Glad you discovered her show!

I actually can't stand the show, (I find her screen presence rather smug and WAY too over the top with the soft-focus, Cinemax-style editing) but I love her food! My wife and I are hooked on her stir-fried cucumber dish. It's an amazing dish and perfect for the odd vegeterian dinner. I now record the show on the DVR and fast forward through all the "content" and go straight to the recipes.

Here's a previous discussion about Kylie:

"Kylie Kwong: Simply Magic, Discovery Home Channel, Have you seen it?"

Perhaps a host can merge the topics.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver