• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jules French Bistro

D90

So I finally made it out to Jules late (9:15pm) Friday night after going balding with a few friends. The restaurant was packed so we choose to stay and sit on the patio since it was such a nice evening.

A hate to start off a review negatively especially since I had such high expectations for Jules and the meal did not disappoint but with that said a few thing did stand out negatively.

- We were approaches 3 times for cigarettes by homeless individuals while we were eating. (No fault of the restaurant)

- After the initial severing of water when we arrived our remained empty through the meal.

- We to wait almost 30min between our Appetizer and Entrée; only two of four of us had appetizers so the other two waiting almost an hour of their meals.

Now for the meal, two of us started with the Lobster and King Crab Bisque which was absolutely prefect. I liked having the sides of aioli and asiago cheese allowing you to add as much or little to suit your taste.

We each chose a different main, and were pleased with our meals; but there was one item that I felt that could have been executed a little better. The Morel cream sauce was lacking that nutty morel taste and it wasn’t even thick enough to coat a slice of tenderloin. I tried a small piece of the other two dishes and they were all prefect, we also order a side of fries with mayo, aioli and mushroom sauce.

gallery_38570_2980_33443.jpg

Lobster and King Crab Bisque Served with Croutons, Rouille and Asiago Cheese.

gallery_38570_2980_3099.jpg

A side of Fried with Mayo, Aioli and Mushroom Sauce.

gallery_38570_2980_68069.jpg

12 oz AAA Rib-Eye Steak with French Fries with Mushroom Sauce.

gallery_38570_2980_36580.jpg

Beef tenderloin with a Morel Cream Sauce, Ratatouille and Scallop Potatoes.

gallery_38570_2980_26764.jpg

Lamb Sirloin with Taboule, Fresh Mint and Cucumber Cream.

We decided to skip on dessert this time around but I will defiantly be back in the near.

Welcome to the hood. Unfortunately the street people are a constant sore on our streets. Glad you liked Jules; it's one of our regular haunts. Service is usually better than you experienced. Nice photo's.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Thanks SBonner, on a side note I finally tried Wasubeez (you recommended it in a previous post) a couple weeks back since I work a stones throw away. All three of us had the Wasubitch Chicken Sandwich with fries and the aioli for lunch; great sandwich and the best aioli at a restaurant I’ve ever had (I love garlic). I did feel a little sorry for my last two appointments of the day though.

Your right it is unfortunate about the street people, and I do understand it is really out of the restaurant control. I think the service may have been a little better if we sat inside since they were extreamly busy, I do plan on trying it again soon.

Your right it is unfortunate about the street people, and I do understand it is really out of the restaurant control.

I disagree...street people are the responsibility of the restaurant.

Customer safety is as much a part of ‘the experience’ as service, presentation, taste, showmanship and ambiance.

At both Metro and Rare we pay big $$$ to minimize the homeless intrusion on our patrons ~ and all restaurant should; it’s like supplying toilet paper - no one likes to talk about it, but it has to be done.

On a tangent ~ has anyone else noticed the sandpaper toilet paper offered at Earl's in Vancouver? How did they find such a low grade...I did not know it even existed!!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Your right it is unfortunate about the street people, and I do understand it is really out of the restaurant control.

Customer safety is as much a part of ‘the experience’ as service, presentation, taste, showmanship and ambiance.

How do you deal with the street people? private security company, big burly sommeliers? just curious.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

How do you deal with the street people? private security company, big burly sommeliers? just curious.

Stephen

This is an unfortunate reality of living in a big city. Any city.

Although unrealistic, the guests expect to be shielded from this sort of thing while they are having dinner, even though they are sitting two feet away from a kid with a sign saying " I need food". It is also a tough position for the host, as he/she is "moving" these people along, one of the patrons whips out a fiver and offers it up to the street person. It really makes the host look like an uncaring person, being stared down by someone's grandmother with a fiver in her hand.

In Yaletown, we employ a firm to deal with this, but the street people have learned the schedule, and are moving back in five minutes after the security shift ends. we need to randomize the shifts, as to keep everyone on their toes.

Now, on the flip side, before someone starts to go off how unfair that is to the streetpeople etc..........we also employ a company called " Street Youth Job Action" to help keep Yaletown tidy, raise funds for the Foodbank and Covenent House...just to keep things balanced.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com