• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tim Hortons

nakji

I prefer Tim Ho's coffee to Starbucks (duck and run!). Seriously, the coffee I get at Starbucks always smell and taste like cigarette butts. :sad: I like the Breakfast Blend or, I think it was Sonora blend, which is no long available here. I don't go to TH for coffee, I buy and brew myself, every morning and evening.

Donuts - haven't had one for many moons. I used to love the Bavarian creams, but the filling they've been using seem to be more chemical tasting. I still like the honey cruellers when my resistence breaks down. Never cared for the KKs that my niece insist on bringing from the west coast. I did like Robin's, but they were brought down by TH, as was Country Style.

Like Pam, I appreciated TH's in the hospital lobby while hubby was in the hospital a couple years ago.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

i don't drink coffee. but i am always thankful for the super hot extra large tea with milk no extra charge!

and the clean toilet when i have desperately needed one.

plus once i had a tasty chocolatey doughnut with mint frosting yummy! i was hungry. oh and come to think about it i have had too many wheat and carrot muffins until one day i decided to see how virtuous i was and checked the nutritional facts! i think that the very healthy sounding wheat and carrot muffin has more calories and fat than an egg, cheese and sausage mcmuffin with extra cheese, buttered muffin and two hash browns.

i wept.

and an iced cap goes down silky...

hey i guess i am a TH fan after all!! imagine that! hahhahahhaa

ok but not that muffin of the devil!

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

The rest of [Tim Hortons'] doughnuts suck, but I think Dunkin' Donuts sucks, too.  It's hard to find a good doughnut these days.

This may be a bit out of your way, but you might want to try this five-time Daily Times "Best of Delco" winner right across from the Chester train station.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot about this picture, taken outside a Tim Hortons in RI I think it may have been CT. It was next door to the regional office and had nice clean restrooms :smile:

This doughnut purchase was gratuitious and all for You. I had just scarfed down a slab of Portugeuse fried dough with sugar before leaving the Cape...of Cod and we were on our way to Frank Pepes in New Haven for pizza, but hey anything for Egullet. And really who doesnt want second breakfast.

Well like I said nice clean bathrooms, hubby said the coffee was good and I suppose the apple fritter was fine. No way better than Dunkin' and not even close to the Shopright in-store bakery

gallery_23695_426_122869.jpg

crueller, apple fritter, vanilla frosted

chocolate glazed, blueberry fritter, maple glazed

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 4 weeks later...
I use  a really terrific---and hilarious---anthropological study of Tim Horton's in my "Food and Culture" class.  It's called "Eddie Shack was no Tim Horton," by Steve Penfold, and it's in a book called "Food Nations" by Warren Belasco.

I actually read that in a food and culture Anthro class. It was really good!

You don't happen to teach at the U of C, do you?

Edited by Synergy (log)

• 1 month later...

I am a person who loves cream in his coffee,so Tim Hortons works for me.I find it uncomplicated but i guess for a coffee connoisseur it would be really bland,unflavourful coffee.

I do have the Starbucks "Breakfast blend" once in a while but Timmies are my everyday go to fix. The urban legend is that they mix "something special" in their coffee that makes it so addicitve :rolleyes:

As far as donuts go,it has to be had when its fresh or it can go hockey puck on you.

p.s A couple of years back I was in International Franchise marketing,I have had people in Mexico,Germany looking for a tim hortons franchise.These were people who visited canada,had Tim Hortons coffee ,fell in love with it and wanted to bring it back to their conutry.

Edited by warlockdilemma (log)

The ones in Canada use real cream. I like Tim's just fine. In the summer, they make an Iced Cappucino drink that's totally a fabricated beverage, but I love them none the less. I still laugh, though, everytime I see them advertise "TimBits"...

The ones in Canada use real cream. I like Tim's just fine. In the summer, they make an Iced Cappucino drink that's totally a fabricated beverage, but I love them none the less. I still laugh, though, everytime I see them advertise "TimBits"...

I love the Iced Cap,it has this waffle/wafer flavour to it,simply amazing

Do they use real cream, or is it an edible oil product?

I have seen them replacing packets of cream/milk

Edited by warlockdilemma (log)

In the summer, they make an Iced Cappucino drink that's totally a fabricated beverage, but I love them none the less.

:blink: I think it's only partially fabricated, not totally. When I get one (in warm weather usually) I ask for them to make it with chocolate milk. I think it gets mixed with some kind of coffee slurpee deal.

• 8 months later...

I don't drink TH coffee and I don't eat TH donuts but I loved a cheese croissant on a Saturday morning - loved in the past tense! They have changed the fat used in these and they are now INEDIBLE. Anyone else notice?

I did complain and the manager I spoke with admitted that they had changed the ingredients and that this was definitely a change for the worse.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I get a Tim Horton's coffee twice a month which is probably less than the provincial average. It's decent and consistent coffee but I rarely get the other stuff.

As a grad student in the early 90's I went all the time. I recall they sold something called a fudge buster and a long john 8" which still makes me snicker. Surely someone could come up with more appetizing names for these bake goods.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I was devoted to their chocolate chip muffins in university, but when I was back in Canada this year, I tried one, and it was downright chewy and inedible in a very strange way. I've never been a big fan of their coffee, but I always relied on their baked goods. :hmmm:

On our drive from Ottawa to Quebec City last month I had a Tim's experience that was more about me than about Tim's but I'll tell it anyway. The Tim's was at a trucker lay by near Berthier and we stopped in for gas, powder room and a bite -- we hadn't had breakfast.

The menu was entirely in French, no English translation. It was my first big push to speak French in a couple of years, and when the counter girl said: "Bonjour Madame" I discovered I hadn't lost it, and could order a bagel and cream cheese, untoasted, in French that embarrassed no one. Great confidence boost for Quebec City.

But why, oh why, did they make a sandwich of it and cut it down the middle? I hate that. But Berthier ain't bagel country. And we travel with our own coffee: Tim's isn't even as good as the vastly overrated Dunkin's.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

On our drive from Ottawa to Quebec City last month I had a Tim's experience that was more about me than about Tim's but I'll tell it anyway. The Tim's was at a trucker lay by near Berthier and we stopped in for gas, powder room and a bite -- we hadn't had breakfast.

The menu was entirely in French, no English translation. It was my first big push to speak French in a couple of years, and when the counter girl said: "Bonjour Madame" I discovered I hadn't lost it, and could order a bagel and cream cheese, untoasted, in French that embarrassed no one. Great confidence boost for Quebec City.

But why, oh why, did they make a sandwich of it and cut it down the middle? I hate that. But Berthier ain't bagel country. And we travel with our own coffee: Tim's isn't even as good as the vastly overrated Dunkin's.

I've had no end of trouble trying to convince them not to make a sandwich of it and cut it again down the middle. They just don't seem to get it.

But my personal best Tim Horton's moment came when I asked for a toasted everything bagel - plain cream cheese on the side - and completely seriously she asked me "what side do you want it on?" - and she meant the cut side or the crust side! I couldn't order a bagel for months without laughing.

I've had no end of trouble trying to convince them not to make a sandwich of it and cut it again down the middle. They just don't seem to get it.

But my personal best Tim Horton's moment came when I asked for a toasted everything bagel - plain cream cheese on the side - and completely seriously she asked me "what side do you want it on?" - and she meant the cut side or the crust side! I couldn't order a bagel for months without laughing.

That is so funny. You saw how easy it was for me to order a "scooped" bagel in Chicago. The guy at Einsteins didnt even blink. Now imagine me ordering that here in Exeter. I spent 5 minutes trying to explain what that meant. They just didnt get it.

Oh and I HATE how they cut them. Why do they do that? Its just downright WRONG.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just found this thread and could not resist writing. Tim Horton's is owned by an American company and isn't even 'Canadian' anymore.

I loathe their coffee and wonder why anyone eats their muffins at all. BUT they do have clean washrooms. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I was on my way home the other day feeling awful, freezing and hungry. I grabbed a bowl of their mushroom soup from the drive-thru. It was terrible.

But I don't mind the occasional timbit.

• 7 months later...
While the company is owned by a US firm, in Canada most Tim Horton's shops are franchises, so most are, in fact, Canadian owned.

A bit of a slow reply from me...I didn't know that. Thanks. I'll toss that one at my skeptical DH and see his reaction.

Today's newspaper announces that Tim Horton's is about to open 12 outlets in NYC. It also notes that Tim's already has 527 locations in the USA: OH, MI, VA, KY, ME & CT.

And just when Starbucks is downsizing...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This is apparently part of a settlement between Dunkin and the Riese group in NYC. A few years ago there were newspaper pix of vermin in Riese's Dunkin outlets and lawsuits back and forth. Rat hair filled timbits anyone?

• 3 weeks later...