• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pho in Austin

millersus

I had lunch today at Pho Van. It's in the Hong Kong shopping center. Just the smell makes me happy. The soup is great. The waitress is a trip. She watches the sidewalk and stares at you through the door. As soon as your foot crosses the plane into her space, she says "Table 1? (or 2, or 10) You sit here." I found myself perusing the menu once, she pointed to a number and said "This very good, you eat this." She was right. Today I was reprimanded because I said I didn't want large, I would have the regular. " Two size, small large" was her reply.

Most importantly, the pho. Broth is flavorful, not salty. I usually have some beef combination. Served with Thai basil, jalapenos, cilantro, bean sprouts, and lime.