• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silicone Bakeware: Gastroflex vs. Flexipan

cookman

I'm looking for a silicone pan with about one-inch diameter cylindrical cavities. I've tried Matfer's Flexipans before (the shiny black ones), but I swear I can taste a rubbery aftertaste in bakegoods made in them. Matfer also makes a line of (red)silicone pans called Gastroflex. Anyone know if these two products are made of different materials?

they're both silicone, just not sure if they're formulated the same. i know that we used the dark red (gastroflex?) ones once to try to mold butter for the restaurant and there was a definite flavor transfer, so we stopped. this was with no heat added either.

i'm not too keen on using anything but silpats for baking (otherwise, i like metal pans). don't like the result i get with the flexipans. i prefer to use flexipans for frozen applications.

i realize that isn't what you were asking, sorry!

I also noticed a flavour transfer when using the black silicon moulds. However, you don't get it with the orange ones.

So ditch all the old black one and get yourself some new shiny bright orange moulds - I really like them for everything; from baking to freezing.

xxx

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

I use these types of molds religiously at my patisserie. Different types have different purposes. The black ones you refered to probably are Flexipan made by Demarle, sold by Matfer... They are the industry standard or so I thought. We do use the molds alot and the Flexipans I have have definetly started to show wear and tear (@ $80-90 a piece thats a lot of money), they are slightly more flexible and release somewhat better than others I have tried. We also use lots of shapes in the Gastro Flex line and have been extremely happy with them in most cases. For smaller mini pastries I have to see which ones are more flexible and release cleaner. There are many companies making the orange molds-Gastro, Sil Flex, Martellato (these are the best in my opinion)

So what I am saying is that it depends on the application

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Rose Levy Beranbaum notes on her website that she likes the silicone pans made by Lekue best (disclosure: she has come connection to the company as they put her name on some of their pans.) She talks about how this particular product is "100% platinum silicone", and should not have taste transfer. She says that the easiest way to tell if your pan is 100% silicone is to crimp it as see if the color changes. A white line at the fold indicates that there is something other than silicone in the pan. (My shiny black Flexipans do show a white line when you crimp them.) A (blue) Lekue pan stays blue at the fold when crimped. Unfortunately, Lekue doesn't make the size mold I need. Out of curiousity, can someone with a GastroFlex pan crimp a piece and let me know if its color blanches.

just did it and no color change cookman

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

just did it and no color change cookman

Thanks, Bripastryguy! Interesting. Supports what Fanny noted earlier about preferring her orange molds also.

some of the orange molds are of different gauges, some are slightly thicker or more rigid and dont freeze well enough then there are those that arent flexible enough to unmold cleanly. I find it hard to buy these types of molds online unless i have the exact stock number and manufactuer. i usually take a trip and get the ones i need

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

• 3 years later...

I am wondering if Gastroflex moulds conduct heat was well as Flexiplan or metal ones? I have just baked some madelines and, though cooked through, the ribbed undersides had a nice sheen but were very pale. Might have been the recipe, though it was one of Gordon Ramsay's.

Petrus