• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Martinez Cocktail

mkayahara

For me, pretty much the perfect drink;

60ml Both's Old Tom

30ml Noilly Rouge

2 Dashes Luxardo Maraschino

2-3 Dashes Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Boker's Bitters

Method: Add all ingredients to mixing glass, fill with hand-cracked block ice and stir 15 20 seconds

Glass: Frozen vintage cocktail

Garnish: Fat strip of lemon peel, snap over drink and stem, wipe rim and drop into drink

Ice: N/A

Every so often I'll aromatise the glass with a spray of absinthe, and I have been known to add a teardrop of Grand Marnier or sugar syrup if I want something a little sweeter.

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Perhaps more importantly, which sweet vermouth? Whether the light Dolin or a heavier Cocchi VdT or Cinzano, the drink should work. In my opinion, Carpano's Antica, as a vanilla vermouth, overwhelms this drink every time whichever the gin.

"Cocchi VdT"?

"Cocchi Vermouth de Turin", maybe?

Am I to understand that Haus Alpenz will soon be bringing in another Italian Vermouth, perhaps in the Turin style?

I was unaware that Cocchi even made a Vermouth.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Perhaps more importantly, which sweet vermouth? Whether the light Dolin or a heavier Cocchi VdT or Cinzano, the drink should work. In my opinion, Carpano's Antica, as a vanilla vermouth, overwhelms this drink every time whichever the gin.

"Cocchi VdT"?

"Cocchi Vermouth de Turin", maybe?

Am I to understand that Haus Alpenz will soon be bringing in another Italian Vermouth, perhaps in the Turin style?

Indeed, I now see three Cocchi products on the Hauz Alpenz site:

Cocchi Americano, Cocchi Barolo Chinato & Cocchi Vermouth di Torino

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 5 months later...

What can we call this? Last night we made a cocktail of 2 parts gin, 1 part Bonal Gentiane, and a dash of rhubarb bitters. It was delicious. I totally love Bonal.

Basically I was trying to make a Martinez, but we don't have maraschino anything. I subbed the rhubarb for angostura, since it's pretty sweet, tastes like cherries to me, and I can't figure out what to do with it anyway.

So gimme a name for my drink if it isn't a Martinez.

The Martinez is probably my favorite non-rum cocktail. It was one of those revelatory moments for me when I had one done right. I think KP Rick had a Martinez roundup a year or two ago in which he and several others settled on a tweak of Jamie Boudreau's formulation as being the perfect ratios of ingredients. The final iteration from that discussion is basically what I have settled on as the perfect Martinez.

1.75 oz Old Tom gin (Hasyman's)

1.25 oz sweet vermouth (Noily Pratt)

2 tsp. maraschino liqueur (prefer Luxardo, settle for Maraska)

2 dashes Ango

Stir/Ice/strain/up/no garnish

If I use Put e Mes instead of Noily Pratt I dial it back to 0.75 oz and up the gin accordingly.

• 1 month later...

Although admittedly fairly new to the Martinez I have found my favorite so far to be the following based on a recipe from a local restaurant with a strong bar tradition.

2 oz Ransom Old Tom gin

1 oz Carpano Antica

1 tsp Luxardo marschino

1 dash Regan's Orange bitters

Not sure if that is the exact formula of the restaurant but it is where I have ended up and I like where I am at the moment!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 2 years later...

I made different versions of the Martinez with the St. George dry rye gin recently. There was no Old Tom in the house and I thought that the dry rye gin would be interesting, like a cross between a Martinez and a Manhattan.

I started with the Bartender Choice's app version with 2 oz gin, 3/4 oz sweet vermouth (I went with vermouth di Torino), a barspoon of maraschino, and dash of Boker's bitters (the app specifies orange but I like Boker's as per the Jerry Thomas recipe).

I took a first sip and did not love it. The gin was just too dominant. I then remembered that I prefer more vermouth in my Martinez.

12129302405_2286551c65_z.jpg

So I made another one a few days later with the PDT ratios since the recipe had worked well for me in the past. 1.5 oz each gin and sweet vermouth, 1/4 oz maraschino, 2 dashes Boker's bitters. I also switched the vermouth to Dolin as the Torino was getting bullied by the gin.

12334490714_458ff0e102_z.jpg

Martinez craving finally curbed.

• Like 1

I need to get my hands on that dry rye gin. I want to try it in drinks that emphasize ye's herbaceous/forest-y qualities, like the Doe's Path and the Teenage Riot. And of course in Old Tom/genever cocktails like the Martinez.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I bought the St George aged rye gin. Alas, for the the botanicals are too far from classic juniper for my taste. I was hoping to use it like a London dry, but I think it needs to be manhandled like Ransom. Mighty well be your thing, Rafa.

Interesting, I don't as much Old Tom as I get a high malt jenever. I suppose it could be a bit of a cross between the two perhaps?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 1 month later...

I tried a bottle of M&R Rosato out of curiosity. I admit I'm not that crazy about it, but the other day I was looking at the bottle, and felt to need to use it in something. It's very floral and doesn't work well with whiskey, but I thought it might work with gin, so I used it in the Martinez recipe and it wasn't bad at all. I'm not suggesting anyone go out and by a bottle just for this purpose, but if you've got some and don't know what to do with it, this is a good way to use it up.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

• 11 months later...

I haven't made a Martinez in awhile but last night's (very) slight variation was good enough to put them back in the rotation.

2.25 oz Barr Hill Old Tom

.75 oz Punt e Mes

.25 oz Luxardo Maraschino

A dash of Bittermens Burlesque

Lemon twist

The Burlesque bitters provided just enough balance to balance the syrup-iness of the maraschino. I'm really enjoying the Barr Hill Old Tom too, it's definitely on the pricey side compared to Ransom or Hayman's but I like how it seems to meld the sweeter profile of the Hayman's with the drier oak profile of the Ransom.

Our recent riff on the Martinez...a San Martin!  You must pronounce San Martin with a French accent or it will not taste the same.

2 oz. gin (House Spirits, Distiller Reserve...boutique distller in Portland Or. Pitty we only have a small bottle.)

1 oz sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica Formula)

1/4 oz St. Germaine

2 dashes orange bitters

Bonne boisoon!