• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Oceanaire Seafood Room

markk

Here's another recent Miami meal that I forgot to post, The Oceanaire Seafood Room.

This is an upscale chain, and it was pretty much was I was led to expect by all the responses I got when I posted asking about it across the country; Just about everybody said it was really good. And with one exception, everything was. But the food lacked soul, and the service was a turnoff, which is a shame, because they're certainly using top-notch ingredients. A few days after we ate here, I compared notes with some foodie friends whose opinion I really trust, and they said the same thing - it was technically correct, but somehow very lacking.

To start, the steamed mussels, which were excellent, and the Oysters Rockerfeller which were totally lackluster and disappointing:

gallery_11181_5121_38939.jpg

gallery_11181_5121_101442.jpg

Main courses were halibut, a beautifully fresh piece, broiled to perfection, and topped (this was an extra) with a generous amount of excellent lump crab. Still, the dish lacked something, maybe "soul" as I said earlier:

gallery_11181_5121_95969.jpg

The sides, a crispy potato cake, and string beans almondine, were exceptionally good:

gallery_11181_5121_142283.jpg

Dessert was kinky:

gallery_11181_5121_45531.jpg

I can think of a lot of cities I've been to in my travels where I'd have killed for this meal. But though I didn't hate it by any means, I won't be going back here.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Here's another recent Miami meal that I forgot to post, The Oceanaire Seafood Room.

This is an upscale chain, and it was pretty much was I was led to expect by all the responses I got when I posted asking about it across the country;  Just about everybody said it was really good.  And with one exception, everything was.  But the food lacked soul, and the service was a turnoff, which is a shame, because they're certainly using top-notch ingredients.  A few days after we ate here, I compared notes with some foodie friends whose opinion I really trust, and they said the same thing - it was technically correct, but somehow very lacking.

To start, the steamed mussels, which were excellent, and the Oysters Rockerfeller which were totally lackluster and disappointing:

gallery_11181_5121_38939.jpg

gallery_11181_5121_101442.jpg

Main courses were halibut, a beautifully fresh piece, broiled to perfection, and topped (this was an extra) with a generous amount of excellent lump crab.  Still, the dish lacked something, maybe "soul" as I said earlier:

and expensive, $16 for a martini, $35 for Halibut who are they kidding.

gallery_11181_5121_95969.jpg

The sides, a crispy potato cake, and string beans almondine, were exceptionally good:

gallery_11181_5121_142283.jpg

Dessert was kinky:

gallery_11181_5121_45531.jpg

I can think of a lot of cities I've been to in my travels where I'd have killed for this meal.  But though I didn't hate it by any means, I won't be going back here.