• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas BBQ

Fat Guy

The BBQ group of restaurants is owned by a father-and-son team, Herb & Greg Wetanson. The father had a chain of burger places in NYC called Wetson's (i believe; it was before i moved to NYC) that eventually went out of business. Herb opened BBQ and they've been incredibly succcessful. He's actually a very smart restaurateur. Incidentally, a daughter, Liza, owns Sambuca, which as you've mentioned is across the street from one of the BBQ's.

Interesting. Do you know these people? I'd love to hear more about the history of the BBQ empire.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I used to know them quite well but it's been several years since we were last in touch. They also own Tony's di Napoli on the Upper East Side - don't know if you're familiar with that spot. Also very busy, big portions, etc. The daughter wanted to open a tapas bar downtown several years ago (the one who owns Sambuca), but i don't believe it ever launched. Or if it did, it was very short lived.