• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need help with a business name

Ruffins

I am trying to get my consulting business formalized. I have done freelance consulting on and off for many years in-between my “real job”. My specialty is menu R&D and recipe development, kitchen design. I know that I need to come up with a great business name, get a logo, letter head etc. In essence, I need to present a more professional first impression. I have been thinking for weeks on a good name for the business and have not come up with any that are worthy. I don’t (think I) want it to include my name, or have a regional sounding name. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I am trying to get my consulting business formalized. I have done freelance consulting on and off for many years in-between my “real job”. My specialty is menu R&D and recipe development, kitchen design. I know that I need to come up with a great business name, get a logo, letter head etc. In essence, I need to present a more professional first impression. I have been thinking for weeks on a good name for the business and have not come up with any that are worthy.  I don’t (think I) want it to include my name, or have a regional sounding name.  All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Why not call yourself The Oracle?

For me it suggests the pinnacle of knowledge and it is mouth-related.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I'd like to hear more about what image you're trying to portray.  For example with restaurants McDonalds has a very different feel than French Laundry versus Alinea.  So what are you going for?

What I am going for is small local, or start-up chains (or chain hopefuls) that are not yet big enough to invest in having a fulltime corporate chef… Or small independents that don’t have the knowledge or ability to look inward or to move with the changes. Chef driven restaurants are not who I am going for…because they have chefs working for them, and if it’s not working out they need a new fulltime chef, and not me.

There are many restaurants with 4 to 8 stores that do not have anyone working for them that have basic culinary knowledge and need some to rework recipes, match their appliances with their menu, evaluate there staff etc. We have all been to those restaurants. Some are on the verge of being very good.

Maybe something that picks up on this kitchen & menu makeover theme, making the good better, maximizing capacity, lemons to lemonade....

Are you looking for a name that communicates formal corporate quality or for something that's more down-home folksy?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'm thinking that in a way you're offering a ghost writer/ghost chef service. Its a chef behind the screen (Wizard of Oz reference). But of course its more than the chef. Its a Kitchen's Right Hand.

When I opened my business we debated if we wanted a name that conveyed what we do or would draw people in the door to find out what we do. We chose the latter. I think you need the former b/c often times you'll just be an envelop which has a high likelihood of being thrown away without being opened. So I think your name needs to very clearly state what you do and incorporate a logo to add the style and feel back into. That said, you might want to stick to something simple like Creative Kitchen Evolutions.

Okay, brainstorming done for now...

I think it should include your name. In that kind of business, your name is your brand. Why not use every opportunity to have people remember your name?

There was just a piece in Food Arts about design consultants. Except for the ones that were part of large architecture firms, most used their names. These are some of the most successful people in the business.

Mark Stech-Novak's company is called Mark Stech-Novak Restaurant Consultation & Design

Tim Harrison's is called Harrison & Koellner

Jimi Yui's is called YuiDesign

Steven Marshall's is called The Marshall Associates

Tom Galvin: Galvin Design Group

Frank Muller: Muller Design

James Camacho: Camacho Associates

There are a couple of counter-examples, such as the company Next Step Design, however it is pretty standard to use the name of the principal.

I think the most stylish way to do it is to incorporate the name of the principal in a creative way. So for example of the list above I think YuiDesign is the best name. Another example is Jennifer Baum's PR firm, which is called Bullfrog & Baum. The Bullfrog is fictional -- it's not a person named Bullfrog but, rather, a little bullfrog mascot that they use as part of their letterhead and such. A related example: my wife, a freelance writer and photographer, is named Ellen, and her business name is ByEllen (the point being that you can use your first name too).

I don't actually know your name but let's say it's Engelbert Humperdinck. Okay, so I kind of liked the word Evolution suggested above. What about Engelbert Evolutions? Or Humperdinck Beyond. You get the idea.

Also when you're running through names be sure to check internet domain name availability. If you call your company ByEllen you better make sure ByEllen.com is available. Also Google it to make sure nobody is doing similar business under that name.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

How about "Restaurant Concepts?" Per Fat Guy's suggestion, you could also incorporate your name into it, say "Ruffins' Restaurant Concepts" or something like that. Adding your name should reduce the likelihood of any potential name conflict issues.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Humperdinck Beyond . . . I like it.

How about BeeSo - if your name is in fact Ben Southard, it works on a few levels.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Choosing a name is a very important marketing tool for your business. Being a former web marketing designer for consumer products, I am very familiar with how a name can affect whether or not people will "buy" into your products/ideas/etc. Also, consider that you are selling to a very targeted niche market, and you need to be extra careful that your name clearly represents what you do.

Think about who you are and what you are offering.

- I think using your name is good, but only if supported with a good byline that says what you do/sell/offer.

- think about what type of consulting you plan to do and make a list of all of them such as design, menu development, etc.

- choose a flexible name. perhaps using a more neutral business name as a parent concept would allow you to grow and not have to change your name down the road. For example I started with Sugar as my name with the byline "desserts, delights & delectables." people remembered sugar when I have now changed the byline to be "bakery & cafe" to allow myself to offer savory stuff at the shop.

- keep the name as short and sweet as possible.

- design your web site to match current design trends in the kitchen marketplace. make it clean, simple, and easy to navigate. If you don't have the skillset to design a web site, make sure your designer designs it so it's easy to update and tweak as you get to know your client base.

- protect your name. Search your direct area and any areas you might do business with and MAKE SURE nobody out there has a similar name. then go trademark your name ASAP. If you even remotely suspect someone might take your name and tweak it to become their own, register THAT name too! For example, with my name, I was the only bakery in Seattle (and most of the US for that matter) with the word "sugar" in my name. Now there are 3 more sugars, sugar rush baking company, sugar shack baking company, sugar cake studio. These new companies don't think it's a problem, but I can't tell you how many times people confuse us. it's a disservice to the marketplace, but there's nothing I can do about it. So protect your name the best you can.

Edited by sugarseattle (log)

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

• 2 months later...