• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why do so few restaurants offer a cheese plate?

gfweb

I stand corrected. My favorite dish of the meal was the scallops with three sauces: grape sauce, cauliflower sauce and parsley puree. But I liked the Fourme d'Ambert and pear tart too.

Just out of curiously, when was this meal?

Lunch on 5 January 1999.

There's a photo of the dish -- "Tarte à la Fourme d'Ambert, Poires fraîches" -- circa 2005 on the Chocolate and Zucchini website, which you can click through to from here.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've been the person plating that cheese, and it's a PITA to handle on the line if there isn't special equipment for storing it. I had to move the cheeses in and out of the fridge constantly to keep it from melting down in the heat of the kitchen. If you leave it in the fridge too long, it loses its aroma and melting qualities on the tongue. I hated dealing with it, even though it took no longer to plate than anything else on the pastry or garde-manger station. You try remembering to put the cheese in the fridge or take it out when you're flooded on a Saturday night.

It was a nice cheese plate though, with housemade crackers and a tart cherry-apple chutney...

A lot of restaurants do serve cheese.  It all depends where you live.

Exactly, not only does my favorite restaurant in Detroit serve a cheese plate, but they make their own cheese. :cool:

OK. I'm obviously wrong. These restaurants actually do have cheese plates but keep them from me. Must be a plot.

No, we learned in another thread that his favorite restaurant in Detroit is a truck stop. They apparently make their own cheese to go with their onion rings and fish sticks.

Do truck stops make their own cheese? and bread? and beer? I think not :biggrin: No one who has ever been here and seen how well they do all three would think of it as a truck stop. Also, the decor is not truck stop decor.Most Truck Stops do not even have a decor. Lastly, you continue to make this observation without once visiting this restaurant :shock: without once even visiting any resturant in MetroDetroit :shock::shock: (Milan is near Ann Arbor).I will say this again: the next time you find yourself in the Great Lakes region, look me up and I will take you on a tour of my favorite eateries,then if you choose to berate them you can do so fairly. Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Anyone else see charging corckage for bringing your own cheese plate becoming a trend.

I guess it would be called 'rindage'. or perhaps fromage :-)

I've thought of donating cheese to a favorite restaurant in Fernandina FL that resolutely refuses to do the cheese thing. Sort of shame them into it.

Edited by gfweb (log)

Anyone else see charging corckage for bringing your own cheese plate becoming a trend.

I guess it would be called 'rindage'. or perhaps fromage :-)

I've thought of donating cheese to a favorite restaurant in Fernandina FL that resolutely refuses to do the cheese thing. Sort of shame them into it.

LOL it starts with wine, next cheese would your own ingredients be far behind.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats