• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffalo Wings and Stock/Broth

GordonD

Does anybody here use the pile of stripped bones left over after an evening of beer and chicken wings to make stock?

I was planning on tossing them into the bag of chicken bones we keep in the freezer, but I'm worried how the spices involved might affect the stock.

I'd throw them out.

I'm not quite understanding the "evening of beer and chicken wings" part: they're not pre-gnawed are they?

:huh:

I am not GordonD but from your "shocked expresson" I can see that using pre-gnawed bones is not your cup of tea. But the athor of The River Cottage Meat Book sees nothing alarming in this practice. As he points, the bones will be cooking for longer than most germs are likely to survive. Out of respect for the animal that died to feed us, he believes that NOTHING of its edible parts should ever be wasted.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We once made stock from the (pre-gnawed) bones leftover from a Chinese BBQ duck. The result was way too salty, so we ended up tossing it. (In retrospect, I suppose we could have cut it with regular stock. I imagine it might have been good in a Thai soup.)

Edited to add: Uh, yeah. I guess my comment is a little tangential, but what it's intended to convey is this: Try it! What've you got to lose?

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Does anybody here use the pile of stripped bones left over after an evening of beer and chicken wings to make stock?

I was planning on tossing them into the bag of chicken bones we keep in the freezer, but I'm worried how the spices involved might affect the stock.

Use them. What's in buffalo wings anyway but vinegar, chilies, and butter. Oh and maybe a bit of (pre-gnawed) celery. Although I'd probably try to wipe off some of the blue cheese.

Bode

What's in buffalo wings anyway but vinegar, chilies, and butter.

It's the chilies that worry me, but I suppose that what little is left after the wings are good and gnawed on shouldn't be too overpowering, especially since these weren't atomic-level wings to begin with.

Maybe keep these bones separate and use them to make a quick broth when cooking something like a gumbo or chili since the flavor would be complementary. I try to never throw bones away.

Maybe keep these bones separate and use them to make a quick broth when cooking something like a gumbo or chili since the flavor would be complementary. I try to never throw bones away.

Y'know, I have been kicking around an idea for buffalo chicken pie. I was just going to mix cooked meat with Frank's Read Hot buffalo wing sauce, top it with blue cheese, top that with pie dough and throw the whole thing in the oven.

This sounds even cooler, though.

I sense an experiment coming on!

Okay, I guess I'm in the minority regarding pre-gnaw.

Buffalo wing consommé would be an interesting sight to see. The team over at Ideas in Food are apparently playing with making a hot dog stock (tasting of an "all-dressed" to boot), so why not wing consommé.