• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long should European appliances in France last

John Talbott

Yes......., but the irony is that my German dishwasher is going strong after I gave it the triple-dose cleaning job recommended upthread but the oven just crumped suddenly without warning.

I know you all are dying to know how it all turned out; well, the new (German) oven is installed and once I figure out what the various interior items: grille, plaque, lechefrite, do (the Instruction Guide that came, was not in English as requested, but in Russian, of which mine is a bit rusty) life will be beautiful.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

John you might check the oven manufacturer's website. Often, Manuals are posted on-line,

For 6 bucks, instead DARTY will send me one free.

So 6 bucks if the new free? At that rate, a three star dinner gets as affordable as a big mac.

I think appliances' lifespan nowadays is comparable to cats' lifespan: between 12 and 18 years depending on your luck, intensity of use, and brand. The fancier, the more fragile (electronics get messed up easily).

The more recent and new the technology, the more likely it is to break down at an early stage. When I got my first induction stovetop back in 1992, well induction was certainly not new (it's actually a late-19th century technology) but it was the first generation of non-professional induction stovetops. The electronics got screwed up so often that I had to change the motherboard twice. The thing lasted for 13 years though.

Now they tell me my second induction stovetop is going to last longer without any need to change the motherboard, because in the meantime they have perfected that kind of technology.

My oven is dying, sometimes I can't even close the door. I practically have to kick it hard to close it. This one has lived in my kitchen for 16 years which is a ripe old age for a late-20th century oven. But the light has been dead for 10 years and the timer has gone ad patres for 8 years. Supposed to be a good brand though.

I beg to differ. As industries "rationalize" their production more and more, they tend to ensure that the lifetime of their products is just enough over the warranty time, so it does not cost them much in repair but maximizes their sales overtime. This comes for the electronic industry and cell phones and DVD players are prime examples. But appliances that get used (say washing machines) tend to follow that rule, alas. Of course stoves can hardly get used.

I beg to differ. As industries "rationalize" their production more and more, they tend to ensure that the lifetime of their products is just enough over the warranty time, so it does not cost them much in repair but maximizes their sales overtime. This comes for the electronic industry and cell phones and DVD players are prime examples. But appliances that get used (say washing machines) tend to follow that rule, alas. Of course stoves can hardly get used.

If you read me carefully, Julot, you'll realize that I'm not talking about the same thing. What I'm referring to is waiting for a technology to mature before you buy a product that uses it. Quite a different matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My son is studying in Paris this semenester. I suggested he get a Dorm sized refrigarator for his room. He tells me he hasn't had much luck finding a little one at a somewhat reasonable price. Currently he is storing cheese, etc on his window ledge but I expect it will warm up! one day. He's looked at a number of places he tells me. I wondered if any of you that has been shopping recently has seen one .

Thanks

Tobi

Edited by nyokie6 (log)