• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] Raindrop Chocolates

Morgan_Weber

After thumbing through some old threads, I ran across the name of Raindrop Chocolates, regarding placse to get Gelato in Houston. After dinner last night, we decided to stop in and check it out.

They have wonderful gelato. My wife got the blood orange/chocolate, and I got the lemon custard. The intensely nuanced flavors of each, plus the fact that we were having something made from blood oranges in September, led me to ask the owner where he got his citrus. He said he orders them from Sicily. Everything is fresh and wonderful. We will definitely make this place a regular after-dinner stop.

RainDrop Chocolate

810 Waugh Dr., Suite 100

Houston, TX 77019

713-524-2864

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

RainDrop Chocolate

810 Waugh Dr., Suite 100

Houston, TX 77019

713-524-2864

I believe the shop is closed on Monday and Tuesday....don't make a special trip on the wrong day! :rolleyes:

Currently, their web site lists the following hours on their 'About' page:

Hours

Monday CLOSED

Tues - Thurs 11AM - 10PM

Fri & Sat 11AM - 11PM

Sunday 12PM - 10PM

Would be useful if they put that on the 'Home' page, eh?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried the green apple, cherry, and mandarin sorbets at 17 in the Alden Hotel (downtown). Completely evocative of the fruit. The green apple sorbet reminded me of the same at berthillon in paris (for those who have been). fantastic.

in contrast, i was extremely disappointed with trentino gelati being incredibly sweet for my palate.

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to give this thread a bump. The owner of Raindrop Chocolates is extremely passionate about his products and the ingredients that he uses in them. Drop in when you have a chance. He is an extremely nice person and will be happy to give you the background on how he makes his gelato and chocolates.

Enjoy

Oh i can believe i forgot to write about this place. Great place!!!!!! Great gelato and trufffles. I tried the blood orange chocolate gelato and it was amazing .We also tried some of thie truffles my absolute favorite was the chipotle one hmmm. Check out this place if you haven't. Thanks for telling us about it Morgan!

Ashiana

Edited by kaneel (log)