• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foam Recipes

Dave Hatfield

Mango juice and lecitin might work?

Mango puré is probably too dense unless you make an ISI Whip foam, in which case you will need to add agar agar to make it heat stable.

As always, the Khymos Hydrocolloid recipe collection is a great resource:

http://khymos.org/recipe-collection.php

as far as isi whip makers, which is a good one to geT?

ISI is the manufacturer of the whipper... they make a bunch of different styles but I like the ThermoWhip because it will hold hot liquids hot for 3 hours, and cold stuff cold for 8 hours... plus, a lot of their whippers can't be used with hot stuff, while the ThermoWhip can... they're a bit expensive on ISI's website, but you can get some good deals on Ebay (where else?) plus, you can also get some good deals on the charger cartridges - for hot stuff, you'd want the nitrogen cartridges, not the CO2 unless you want to carbonate your foam as well... hehe

speaking of agar agar,  I bought some at a Asian supermarket that's in the form of strands.  Is it also available in powder?  Does anyone know how to use this stuff?

I have it in powdered form... I don't know how the strands would work... but the powder is easy - just take a knife tip or two into cool liquid, whisk to dissolve, then bring to a boil... you should see it thicken very quickly... then pour into the whipper and charge

...for hot stuff, you'd want the nitrogen cartridges, not the CO2 unless you want to carbonate your foam as well... hehe

You want to use the nitrous oxide for cold stuff too, trust me. See my post above about the foie gras foam. It tasted quite awful from the CO2 I used by mistake. Quite acidic and with a distinct taste of mineral water.

Unles you specifically want to go for the carbonated effect (fruits, beverages), stay way from CO2.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I did a very nice Curry Foam the other day which I served with roasted shrimp. Heavy cream, coconut milk, penzy's hot curry powder, soy sauce and gelatin. I used 3/4 teaspoon gelatin to 2 cups of product. That makes a nice firm foam. My friend did the same on and added an Asian hit sauce . I'll try that next time. Sriracha probably.

Eating an artichoke is like getting to know someone really well.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been making a lot oif Espumas from light to firm. I'm also doing infusions. I noticed Dave Arnold is using two charges in the 1/2 litre size whip. ISI says to use one charge in that size. I have both 1L and the 0.5 size but prefer the smaller size for my purposes.I'm wondering if the two charge is the way to go. Indeed is it safe or am I in danger if the thing exploding?

Eating an artichoke is like getting to know someone really well.

• 4 months later...

Any recipes for Chestnut Espuma or foam? We usually prepare a chestnut puree for annual holiday meals but I'd like to "lighten" by serving a chestnut espuma. We have the iSI NO2 for warm/hot sauces & have tried thinning with cream and heating to 60C. Can't seem to get it right; either too think and too thin. Do we need gelatin, egg white, agar?

Thank you.

I have a chestnut foam recipe from Adria that calls for 200 g chestnut puree, 75 g 35% cream, 75 g chicken stock, 25 g egg whites, mixed and heated to 70C, and charged with 2 cartridges. Maybe give that a try.

Edit: Quantities are for a half-litre siphon.

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 5 months later...