• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foam Recipes

Dave Hatfield

I was given an iSi creamer for my birthday so now I can make foams; or at least I think I can.

But I'm having a hard time finding many recipes. So far I've done a black berry essence & cream foam (pretty good), a Rum cream foam over baked peaches (I used too much rum, but Ok otherwise) and a cooking apple & cream foam (which was good, but a bit bland) BUT I've sort of run out of ideas.

I've tried searching the forums, recipe Gullet and my cook books. Not much there except the chapter by Adrian in "The Cook's Book"

HELP!

edited to correct typo.

Edited by Dave Hatfield (log)

I am the mistress of foams! LOL

j/k

i'll be glad to share my foam recipes with you. In the restaurant, I am the one working the foams all the time. But because I am in charge of the Cold section, you might find that most of my recipes are savoury.

Here is one that is my all time favourite. Goes with alot of things.

Parmesan espuma/foam

300 gm parmesan, grated

Note: this is to tell you, i grate the parmesan myself from a very large and fresh block of Italian parmesan. Do not buy those grated parmesan. They give very different effect. It its a pain to grate, but the end result, c'est parfait!

200ml milk (full cream)

500ml cream

2 knife tip agargar (very small knife tip) using a paring knife.

slowly heat up the grated parmesan, with the milk and cream. Whisk continously, using low heat until the cheese melted away. Do not let it boil without adding the agar. So after the cheese have melted, add in the agar, continue to whisk and let it boil. Now, strain after boiling. Let it cool, dump it into the ISI canister. Use only 1x the charge.

Shake well, it it set upside down in the cooler. Voila! fantastic parmesan espuma.

Note: because it is cream base, we do not put that many charges, otherwise, it will not come out smooth and shiny. rather, it will look like shaving foam. so very not good. =p

replacing parmesan with Comte, and add 250 ml of milk instead of 200 and decrease cream by 50, using same amount of charges, u get Comte foam. It can be used hot or cold.

Watermelon foam

500 ml watermelon juice. (juiced and strained)

100ml citrus juice (i usually used a combination of orange and lemon)

2 pieces of gelatin (2.5g)

soak gelatine in cold water. squeeze dry.

seperate 100 ml of the watermelon mixture from the total and heat it up to melt the gelaltine. mix together the heated juice with the non heated juice. whisk well.

add into the Canister. This takes 2 charges. shake well and let it rest for a day before using.

Chorizo foam. (i use this as a espuma to finish off my salad, etc)

350g grated chorizo.

800ml cream

100 ml milk

2 knife tip agar agar

Heat up a pan, without oil, saute the chorizo til fragrant, add in the cream and milk and simmer to infuse.

strain. Bring back to a pot, add in the agar agar. bring to a boil while continously whisking.

Use only 1x charge.

cheers!

these are bounce off my head. hope u find it useful.

there is basically a basic recipe for non cream base and cream base.

once u figure it out. u can do all sorts.

• Like 2

I am the mistress of foams! LOL

j/k

these are bounce off my head. hope u find it useful.

there is basically a basic recipe for non cream base and cream base.

once u figure it out. u can do all sorts.

Wow! I'm impressed and very grateful.

I'll be trying all of these as soon as I can find the agar agar here in France.

Many many thanks.

FWIW, agar can often be found in Asian grocery stores; it doesn't have to be ordered from the usual host of "molecular gastronomy" suppliers.

Also, agar remains gelled at a much higher temperature than gelatin, which may explain why mflo suggested it in place of gelatin in the warm preparations.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but the ISI claims that its Cream Whipper isn't designed for making hot espumas. If hot/very-warm espumas are what you're after, then ISI suggests the ISI Gourmet Whip or the ISI Thermal Whip. (I've been talking to the ISI distributor recently...)

http://www.espumas.com/ has the recipe for Mango Espuma, Piña Colada Espuma and Cucumber Yoghurt Espuma.

Have fun whip-foaming! :laugh:

Edited by Sher.eats (log)
  • Like 1

~ Sher * =]

. . . . .I HEART FOOD. . . . .

Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy. - Anon

I don't mean to be a party-pooper, but the ISI claims that its Cream Whipper  isn't designed for making hot espumas. If hot/very-warm espumas are what you're after, then ISI suggests the ISI Gourmet Whip or the ISI Thermal Whip. (I've been talking to the ISI distributor recently...)

http://www.espumas.com/ has the recipe for    Mango Espuma, Piña Colada Espuma and Cucumber Yoghurt Espuma.

Have fun whip-foaming! :laugh:

This is correct, the gaskets in the Cream Whipper will break down with heat. Other than different gaskets they are exactly the same hardware (I have one of each).

Agar imho, are the second most easy to get gelling agent right after gelatine.

so i think in any country, if there is an area that is widely populated by chinese, and we know u can find alot of "chinatown" in most countries. then u will be able to find agar agar.

that is true in some sense. but if u have ever made jelly just from agar, you will notice that not only will agar causes the jelly to be very brittle, it also doesnt gives much shine. its a pretty dull and brittle jelly. So, with something that is like juices, i prefer gelatine over agar.

ah forgotten about that. In our restaurant, we generally uses thermal whips for both our cold and hot foams. but sometimes we goes through them so fast, regardless of it being suitable for hot or cold, we just use it. LOL :)

I was given an iSi creamer for my birthday so now I can make foams; or at least I think I can.

But I'm having a hard time finding many recipes. So far I've done a black berry essence & cream foam (pretty good), a Rum cream foam over baked peaches (I used too much rum, but Ok otherwise) and a cooking apple & cream foam (which was good, but a bit bland) BUT I've sort of run out of ideas.

I've tried searching the forums, recipe Gullet and my cook books. Not much there except the chapter by Adrian in "The Cook's Book"

HELP!

edited to correct typo.

There is a book written by El Bulli team where all the key technical aspects of Espuma making are clearly exposed. They explain how to prepare all the variations os Espumas: Cold and Hot, with gellatine, egg white, cream, grease or fecula, etc. It is written in spanish but the example recipe for each kind of espuma is clear and easy to understand provided you have a dicctionary :wink:

http://www.cookingconcepts.com/PDF/Espumas_elBulli.pdf

HELP!

edited to correct typo.

There is a book written by El Bulli team where all the key technical aspects of Espuma making are clearly exposed. They explain how to prepare all the variations os Espumas: Cold and Hot, with gellatine, egg white, cream, grease or fecula, etc. It is written in spanish but the example recipe for each kind of espuma is clear and easy to understand provided you have a dicctionary :wink:

http://www.cookingconcepts.com/PDF/Espumas_elBulli.pdf

JorgeA

Thank you. What a great book! I've downloaded it and must say that just looking at the pictures makes me hungry. Between my pathetic Spanish & the dictionary I'm sure I'll be able to try the recipes.

Again, many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Earl Grey tea cream and Eccles cakes featured on the Great British Menu. This didn't make it through as it wasn't in the winning menu, but was very popular with the judges.

It was presented as a cup of tea with a foam topping and two Eccles cakes on a separate tea plate. It could easily be adapted to other combinations.

Edited by broadway (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently went out and bought an ISI whip too. Played around with it during the weekend. I made a chorizo créme with potato foam (foam recipe in PDF above) and also a Créme Catalan foam (recipe in The Cook's book, maybe in the PDF too?)

Here is my chorizo créme with potato foam (cell phone photo, colors are off):

gallery_56770_5388_1064.jpg

• 11 months later...

Had an interesting experience this weekend. I was going to make a vanilla scented foie gras foam to serve as an appetizer.

(Basic recipe here: http://www.isinorthamerica.com/recipe/print/print_18.html )

However, I managed to charge the whipper with carbon dioxide (CO2) instead of nitrous oxide without noticing. The charges look exactly the same and the boxes are very simlar too.

A couple of hours later I'm serving the foam in glasses (together with a sprinkling of home made crushed peanut brittle on top). The foam looks ok, a little bit uneven, but ok. But as soon as I put the first spoon in my mouth I notice something is wrong. The foam tingles on my tongue! A distinct tingling I recognize from my experiments with carbonized fruit. The second thing I notice is that it tastes pretty bad. Very acidic and a distinct taste of sparkling mineral water.

Not recommended!

But we were probably the only ones in the greater Stockholm area eating carbonized foie gras that night... :biggrin:

If you want an absolute ton of iSi compatible recipes, Khymos's free Hydrocolloids book is the way to go.

http://blog.khymos.org/2008/06/25/hydrocol...collection-v21/

Seriously amazing free resource.

Serious thanks for pointing to this amazing resource. I appreciate it.

Hi, im currently in culinary school and for my final i had to make up an entire menu that i am to serve to 20 people. my soup is a asian style mango gazpacho, and i want to spruce up the presentation so i was thinking of adding a foam around the soup, i was wondering what is the best way to add like a nice airy mango flavored foam to go around my soup? would taking a mango puree and adding lecithin make a good strong air/foam? i am new to making lecithin foams, ive played with faux caviars but im looking to take my next step into the molecular gastronomy world and make airs.