• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegan baking books

currypuff

I'd like to cut back on dairy... but one of my big problems is cutting butter and milk/cream out of my diet, ESPECIALLY baked goods.

Does anyone have suggestions for baking books that have reasonably tasty recipes using moderately easy to find and not overly expensive ingredients? I don't want to have to go out and buy a whole whack of fancy ingredients over and above what I stock in my regular pantry for baking. I've looked on amazon and there do seem to be a few good ones....

Also, does anyone have a coconut macaroon recipe that doesn't involve egg whites?

:raz:

In addition to the vegan approach, you might look into books that emphasize fat-free or reduced-fat baking. I don't have any specific recommendations. My best friend changed her diet to severely restrict intake of saturated fats. Some of the substitutions she uses are applesauce (or, occasionally, other fruit purees) or canola oil for the usual fats like creamed butter. I can attest to the quality, flavor and texture of the non-fat cakes (chocolate, even) and muffins she makes. On the other hand, she just skips the frosting because she hasn't found a workaround that makes a good fluffy cake frosting.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Either of Fran Costigan's two books, Great Good Desserts Naturally and More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally (referenced above), are a good place to start, and the results are delicious.

If you would like to experiment on a smaller scale, try Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Terry Hope Romero and Sara Quin. The Apple Cider cupcakes are just right for Fall!

Ellen