• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ratzeputz

Orik

Someone asked this on an Israeli board, which brought back memories of being an unsuspecting tourist in Germany and getting a shot of this liquid fire 'on the house'.

Other than alcohol and ginger, does anyone know what it contains?

M

• 2 weeks later...

Tried looking it up for ya, all I could find is that it's a ginger schnapps (Ingwer Schnaps). I guess it contains whatever is in any schnapps (gag, I hate schnapps), plus ginger.:rolleyes: Would super-concentrated ginger burn like that? (There was a german website about hot peppers, where someone asked if Ratzeputz has hot peppers in it, but the moderator basically told her to fuck off, so apparently it does not have hot pepper-like ingredients...)

(gag, I hate schnapps)

oh but schnapps ain't so bad. ever had Rumple Minze? 100 proof, it will kick your ass.

And, I have a lovely peach cake recipe that uses peach schnapps and its DIVINE.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Schnapps can be fantastic. Schapps comes from the Dutch word Schnappen which means "to snatch" and refers to the manner in which schapps is to be drank. Properly served at -1 degree Celsius, in shot glasses and traditionally with salted fish at "feasts," modern day schnapps really fall into the eau-de-vie category. The drink you are refering to is probably in this class of drink meaning its base is neutral grain spirits.