• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jim Thorpe

SaxChik

My hubby and I are headed up there this weekend for a belated anniversary getaway. We're staying at a cute little B&B we've frequented before. Wondering if anyone knows any good dining establishments in that area we can go for dinner. I've found some stuff on the web, but first hand recommendations are more reliable.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

This may be too vague to be remotely helpful, but there is a great little old school luncheonette on the left-hand side of the road going into town, just before you hit the main drag. I cannot remember the name, but I think you will know what I am talking about as you drive in. Great for breakfast.

My hubby and I are headed up there this weekend for a belated anniversary getaway.  We're staying at a cute little B&B we've frequented before.  Wondering if anyone knows any good dining establishments in that area we can go for dinner.  I've found some stuff on the web, but first hand recommendations are more reliable.

i think you might be thinking of the sunrise diner.

This may be too vague to be remotely helpful, but there is a great little old school luncheonette on the left-hand side of the road going into town, just before you hit the main drag.  I cannot remember the name, but I think you will know what I am talking about as you drive in.  Great for breakfast.
My hubby and I are headed up there this weekend for a belated anniversary getaway.  We're staying at a cute little B&B we've frequented before.  Wondering if anyone knows any good dining establishments in that area we can go for dinner.  I've found some stuff on the web, but first hand recommendations are more reliable.

Charles Pierce

we're going to give moya a try.  i'll report back.

moya was very nice. it's a small, brightly colored (yellow and orange) byob with local art on the walls. the art last evening was abstract, painted by the hostess.

the menu was fairly standard issue ... salmon, steak, scallops, chicken, pasta. while there was not a heap of creativity, the food was nicely presented, plentiful in portion size very tasty.

for appetizers, dr. sax had a nice feta cheese salad (greek salad-like) and i had crab cakes. there were two good size crab cakes with a nice remoulade-like dipping sauce and an endive salad with a creamy vinegary dressing. for dinner, i had the duck special (duck with cherries and brandy) and dr. sax had the scallops. there were a LOT of scallops and duck on our plates. the sides were some so-so mashed potatoes and broccoli with lime that dr. sax liked a lot.

there are only a few upscale places to eat in jim thorpe and this place should be high on the list.

Charles Pierce

The Sunrise diner is the one in the town of Jim Thorpe, and was closed when I was there like 3 weeks ago. Its been for sale for a long time. The pizza/sandwich place and the Mexican place across from the Inn at Jim Thorpe are both good. The steak place next to the diner had good bar food, but the thought of a 20 oz. steak dinner for $12.95 kind of scared me. Black Bread cafe was unremarkable, and was overpriced for what it was.

Previn Inc.

Supplier to Fine Restaurants.

• 2 years later...