• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Attire

hathor

Paulraphael, if you know of a cheap tailor, let me know! :laugh::laugh:

I'm thinking about switching to a lab coat and having it tailored.

I also found some great, comfy, stretch black jeans that do the trick...but I don't have to worry about dress code rules, so I've got it much easier than some of you.

• 2 weeks later...

skirts :hmmm:

Do people actually WEAR skirts in the kitchen?

I was thinking that technical fabric made into a modified yoga jacket might be the way to go. OK, I'll admit to watching Iron Chef w/ Giada last night. But the jacket rocked!

Sleeve length good; tailoring was reasonable; length good.

Mind you, the price tag was probably $200+ "designer".

I'm talking w/ my sis who sews (SWS) about some jackets incorporating a bit of lingerie silk in the shoulders or something. For private dinner party catering.

Karen Dar Woon

• 4 weeks later...

I agree about the whole pants thing! My problem was not only that they were way too long on me (I hemmed all mine) but that the pants were so wide at the pockets! I always have room behind, but on the sides I feel like I'm walking around with sails attached to my hips.

Also, for a jacket I think double-breasted is really necessary--I have flipped the buttons in the restroom a few times to conceal all sorts of things--but what I see as helping make things a little more flattering would be piping or darting or some sort of visual line going down either side in a curve--this would remind everyone of what we've got underneath those jackets, would require them to come in a little at the waist, and wouldn't mean we would need a completely new uniform.

Viva la (fashion) revolucion!

“Ruling a great state is like cooking a small fish.”

Those who favor leniency say [it means] “do not disturb it too much”; those who favor strictness say “give it salt and vinegar, that’s it.”

~Huainanzi, ch. 11

http://ladolcejenny.blogspot.com