• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bakers Catalogue's No-Knead Bread Recipe

tim

Hi,

The Baker's Catalogue is now offering their version of the no-knead bread titled Absolutely No-Knead Crusty-Chewy Bread.

There are significant differences with the Sullivan Street Bakery's recipe.

Whopping Hydration: They call for hydration rates between 89% and 97% depending on the protein level of the flour.

Second Rise in the Baking Vessel: The crock is not preheated but is used for the second rise. This eliminates the oven spring of the Sullivan Street version. Using the crock for the second rise also necessitates greasing of the container.

Shorter Baking Time: The bread is baked at 450 degrees for 45 minutes covered and 4 - 5 minutes uncovered.

The resulting bread comes from the oven with a flat top. (I'm not sure about that.) It appears that a period of kneading, rather than stirring, develops a higher, rounder crown.

I would like to hear comments on this recipe.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

If it isn't perfect, keep improving it!  :biggrin:  I look forward to one the eGullet bread bakers giving it a try and letting us know how it turned out.

I'm not saying the no-knead bread is perfect or even close for that matter, but from the king arthur photo it looks like their version is significantly worse.

Anybody else notice that little link in the upper right hand corner? The one for the $100 Artisan Bread Baking Crock? :laugh::laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I see no reason not to give it a try. I'm wild about the other bread, but if this one has some interesting differences, but is still good, then what's lost?

If it's not very good, then I've just lost a few cups of flour and a little yeast.

I'm kinda surprised at the reactions. Usually eGulleters are willing to dive in and try just about anything.

I should have something to report this weekend. Right now, the plan is to mix it up tomorrow morning before work, and bake tomorrow evening. But there have been too many stupid crises at work this week, to make me to believe I can count on being able to do this. (I may have to start a thread on how to infuse various foods with alcohol, so that I can imbibe at work.) :blink::biggrin:

I'm kinda surprised at the reactions.  Usually eGulleters are willing to dive in and try just about anything.

That's kind of what I was thinking. :unsure:

The KAF recipe may not produce the more artisan-style looking loaf people most people associate with other no-knead bread recipes, but there's no reason all no-knead breads should look or taste the same any more than regular kneaded breads do. :hmmm:

The photo referred to may not do the KAF recipe justice, but even if it does produce a somewhat heavier loaf it would probably make good sandwich bread? :smile:

SB (inclined to give KAF the benefit of the doubt and try the recipe :wink: )

KA also reccomends their Sir Lancelot High Gluton Flour( no surprise there). The shipping charges alone cost more than the flour.

I really want that flour for some bagels I want to make( Peter Reinhart BBA), but I refuse to pay that much for shipping.

I haven't tried this particular recipe, but I do quite often make something similar - 'rolls that almost bake themselves'

8 dl water

2 -3 tsp salt

a bit of honey

10 g. fresh yeast

enough flour (whatever is in the cupboard) to make dough the consistency of thick porridge (use at least app. 60 % high protein wheat flour for the rolls to come uout well risen)

dissolve yeast in water, add other ingredients and stir till mixed. Let rise in fridge overnight. Shape rolls by using two spoons and drop on greased sheet. let the dough warm up for a while

bake at 225 c until done (depends on size) - can be popped in tins to rise in the fridge overnight - adjust baking time and oven temp.

This recipe makes moist, chewy rolls that are very nice when fresh. The principle is the same as the crock-bread.

It is ideal if you want to make someting that takes care of itself (and don't like to touch the dough :raz: ), but, just as with the crock-bread, you don't get a very well developed bread.

KA also reccomends their Sir Lancelot High Gluton Flour( no surprise there).  The shipping charges alone cost more than the flour. 

I really want that flour for some bagels I want to make( Peter Reinhart BBA), but I refuse to pay that much for shipping.

On a really small order, that may be true. Shipping is far less percentage-wise on a larger order.

The grocery stores here are carrying more and more King Arthur brand flours...why don't you ask a local store to sell some?

KA also reccomends their Sir Lancelot High Gluton Flour( no surprise there).  The shipping charges alone cost more than the flour. 

add your own gluten (vital wheat gluten) to regular KA flour ..

it works perfectly and you can acheive the texture you really like by adding more or less ..

try just tossing a tablespoon of it into your next loaf of bread and see what you think?

much cheaper!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet