• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pomodoro e basilico

mcohen

i'm using giuliano hazan's book, the classic pasta book, for this recipe but i'm still not sure when the sauce is ready. the recipe says to heat the tomates for 10-20 minutes 'until the tomates have reduced and separated from the oil.' but, i'm not exactly sure what that means or what that looks like. how do you know when the sauce is ready?

I haven't seen this recipe. But I would tell you as a rule that if you're using fresh tomatoes, which of course can be eaten raw, then they're done whenever it looks like something that you'd like to eat.

A famous roman dish is ripe, raw tomatoes diced finely and tossed with olive oil and basil in a bowl, which then gets hot pasta tossed in with it ("Spaghetti alla Checca"). So I would think that any degree that you like your tomatoes cooked to is what's right for you.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

mcohen - what the recipe is describing is a technique used by my family for generations. Basically, you cook the tomatoes for a long time until you see the tomatoes give out oil. You can actually see the red oil in the pan as you swish the tomato mixture around. My mother says that this adds a new dimension to the dish and must never be omitted or take short cuts to it. My mother also says it prevents the dish from spoiling too quickly (esp. in a humid atmosphere such as the Philippines).

And to answer your question - You would know when the sauce is ready when the tomato mixture has reduced to almost half, and thoroughly wilted and the tomato oil has exuded from the mixture. This would take more than 10 minutes.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

The tomato sauce will thicken as it cooks, when it gets to the desired consistency...the consistency that you desire, it's done.

There, you have now had an official Italian experience. Everyone chimes in with their opinion and then you choose what makes the most sense. This is how I find that most things get done in Italy.

Thanks God you didn't ask what kind of tomatoes to use or we would be talking about this all day! :laugh::laugh:

Buon'Appetito!

There wouldn't really be any discussion. I'd suggest a tomato, and that would be that.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

There wouldn't really be any discussion.  I'd suggest a tomato, and that would be that.

San Marzano? Pomodirini? Pachetti? Cuore di Bue? or one of those pink, fleshy tomatoes from Capri?

All tomatoes.

A rose may be a rose may be a rose, but a tomato? Endless variations. Endless variations on size, texture, water content, sugar content, blah, blah, blah.

No harm at all in talking all day about tomatoes! :laugh::laugh:

Thanks God you didn't ask what kind of tomatoes to use or we would be talking about this all day!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Buon'Appetito!

well, i use a plum tomatoe since its not too juicy. otherwise, the tomatoe gives off too much water.

but, how do i know when its water or oil that the tomatoe is giving off? i never realized that the oil was referring to oil from the tomatoe.