• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barley Miso

chappie

I've been buying Miso Master organic country barley miso and using it, at the end, to flavor all sorts of vegetable dishes and veggie stocks. I find it makes even a simple broth of carrot, squash, onion and other surplus ingredients taste like a deep, rich beef soup. I bet you could fool people with it.

Last night I used to flavor a pot of simmered lima beans in extra water, along with a large pat of butter. Delicious.

Anyone else using miso in interesting ways?

This isn't original to me, but it's simple and way more than the sum of its parts. Buy one of those packages of small, sweet peppers that have been all over the stores this year--you know, they cost about $5 and have little red, orange, and yellow peppers in them. Slit them, stuff them with a little miso, then saute them in canola oil until they shrivel up and brown a little. This is my bastardized version of what I think is a real Japanese dish, except I have been unable to find the right kind of peppers (don't even know what they're called--they're small, sweet, and green). I have also just sauteed regular red bell pepper strips and added miso. It's delicious, but not as delicious as the stuffed peppers. I'm not even sure what kinds of miso I have as the labels are all in Japanese, but I tried different kinds and I think I liked a mixture of brown (genmai?) and red (aka?) best. The saikyo was too sweet.

Everyone will probably think this is disgusting, but I use Miso Master's chickpea miso in place of parmesan in my pesto. We all like it at my house--one time I made it the regular way, at my daughter's request, and she said she like it better with miso.

Thanks for the heads up, really interested in vegetarian cooking lately.

What's also interesting is that a google search of "Miso Master organic country barley" returns this thread as the fourth hit. Three days old and it's the fourth hit you can't buy that kind of recognition.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

Im a huge fan of Miso Masters barley Miso also, it makes an amazing miso dressing with some rice wine vinegar canola oil and sesame oil to taste..

Michel Richard is a big fan of miso as a replacement for stock in alot of recipes, he has one for Onion Soup that Im going to try pretty soon.

I recall a Miso seasoned turkey from a cooking magazine last Thanksgiving that sounded pretty good, ( Im sure Google can find it ) but alot of the time I just eat a spoonfull or two with some celery , which looks horrible but tastes amazing.

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman