• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter and ... ?

Shel_B

Extra crunchy peanut butter and thinly sliced dill pickles on whole wheat bread

I read about these in Sue Grafton's mystery series 'starring' Kinsey Milhone, who eats them. Really rather good!

Apparently, my brother used to eat PB and PR (pickle relish). I assume that would be along the same lines as above. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Mmm. Maybe not.

This is departing from the sandwich world though I'm sure it could be adapted.

There is a pizza place in Northern Minnesota that makes a Peanut Butter, Jalepeno, and Pepperoni pizza. I resisted trying it for YEARS though a cousin loved it. When I finally gave it a chance I was addicted. Same for those to whom I've now introduced it.

We make a version at home now with a light spreading of PB on the crust, then tomato sauce of choice, then pepperoni, then sliced jalepenos. I tend to pick the peppers off so sometimes I just use a few dashes of the jalepeno tabasco instead of peppers.

Seriously, try it.

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

I agree that there hasn't been enough emphasis on brands.

For sugared peanut butter, I like Peter Pan.  It tastes more like fresh peanuts.  For natural peanut butter, I like Smucker's.  I hate having to stir the stuff, though.  I've got a jar of some crap I bought at Trader Joe's if anyone wants it.

For jelly, it is strawberry.  I have to try the orange marmalade thing.

I love, love, love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Open faced.

I also like peanut butter with bananas, and dates, too.  Those little powdery extruded date things they sell at health food stores.  I'm thinking that mashed bananas might be awfully good, especially if the bananas had some cinnamon and honey added . . .  Sort of like peanut butter and banana jelly.

And I agree that wheat is the appropriate bread.

Of everything above, I am most anxious to try onions with my peanut butter.

Try carmelized onions/onion confit with crisp (nearly burnt) bacon bits with PB.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I also like peanut butter with bananas, and dates, too.  Those little powdery extruded date things they sell at health food stores. 

Ooooh Dates! A PB & dates sandwich with honey sounds like something else worth trying.

In a slightly off, but related topic, I haven't tried some of the other "nut butters"(i.e. almond or cashew butter) on sandwiches before. Does anyone have experience here?

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain

and have we all forgotten the time tested s'more???????????

pb, marsh mallow, semi-sweet chocolate, melted on grahm crackers........

cooked on the bonfire, while kissing jr highschool girls..(classmates btw)...

ahhh memories.......

• 2 weeks later...
and have we all forgotten the time tested s'more???????????

pb, marsh mallow, semi-sweet chocolate, melted on grahm crackers........

cooked on the bonfire, while kissing jr highschool girls..(classmates btw)...

ahhh memories.......

I'm so thrilled someone else has thought to add Peanut Butter to S'Mores!! I have been trying to spread the gospel of the PB s'more all around my home state of MN and no one else has ever heard of it. I also like to use dark chocolate on m s'mores. Delicious! I make them regularly on my gas stove. Bonfires in the city can be complicated, but s'more should be available all the time.

And a note on the natural peanut butters that people don't like to stir - store them upside down. Works like a charm - no stirring involved and wonderful, nutty, no-sugar PB available whenever you want it. Just screw that lid on TIGHT so it doesn't leak. I have been doing this for years and it works great. (store it upside down the minute you buy it and you'll never have to stir. If you don't want the chance of a leak, store it upright in the fridge after you open it. It won't separate then). Enjoy all your wonderful PB creations.

Edited by catinthehat (log)

Also, what about bread types? I'm partial to WW english muffins or wheat toast.

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain

I love PB mixed with chopped bread and butter jalapenos which has just a touch of cream cheese added to the PB to make it more spreadable. Someone also mentioned cucumber which is great too especially on really dense homemade whole wheat bread.