• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter and ... ?

Shel_B

Peanut butter on one slice, mayo on the other and a thin slice of onion in between.

I can't believe how many responses actually include a PB and mayo combo. Of course the onion really must kick it up a notch. What kind of bread do you use for that? My husband won't believe this. He claims his mother used to give him PB and Mayo (on wonderbread, I have no doubt) in his lunchbox when he was little. He uses it as an example of the most awful sandwich he has ever eaten. Maybe his mother was ahead of the curve (WAY ahead). That was before he met a nice Jewish girl like me. I thought PB & mayo wasn't any weirder than the fact that he thought nothing of eating ham & cream cheese on a raisin bagel.

Good luck with that onion thing. I admit I'm tempted. I don't think I'll try the duck confit/pepper jelly thing, though. That sounds like a recipe straight out of Edward Lear: catch a duck, cook it in fat for 3 days, take the meat of the bones and pack it in a jar for two years. Grow some peanuts and hot peppers. Harvest and roast them. Make a sandwich with everything. Toss out the window at once.

If I didn't like the PB M & O sandwich at least I wouldn't feel too bad about throwing it out. But I couldn't waste all that duck confit. On second thought, my husband will take it for lunch.

Nutella, baby!

I had two of these for lunch today. Great combination, like a peanut butter cup sandwich! My kids thing these are the best ever.

Any dish you make will only taste as good as the ingredients you put into it. If you use poor quality meats, old herbs and tasteless winter tomatoes I don’t even want to hear that the lasagna recipe I gave you turned out poorly. You're a cook, not a magician.

Not a sandwich, but here's something that's really good.

Get a saltine and smear a little peanut butter on it. Then top with a piece of good tomato and sprinkle of salt.

Pop into mouth and enjoy.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Best Topic ever. I live on Peanut Butter. By choice.

Certainly Peanut Butter and dill pickle. I read about it in Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, and It's totally delicious. Grilled cheese with peanut butter is about as rich as I can handle, but its very comfort food-y. Yum yum yum.

I'm a little late to the party, but . . . natural, salted PB with lots of cold iceberg lettuce on wheat. (This might be the only legitimate use for iceberg). The cold, wet, crunch of the iceberg complements the slightly dry texture of the natural PB. A sprinkling of fleur de sel on top of the peanut butter is a nice addition.

Certainly Peanut Butter and dill pickle. I read about it in Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, and It's totally delicious.

Ever since I was a kid, I've had to have pickles along with my PB&J sandwiches. Best is a big cold spear of dill but, frankly, any kind will do. They just have to be cold and crunchy.

Not sure when or why I started this, but I won't eat a PB&J without my pickles. It seems to cut the cloying sweetness or something.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Smooth peanut butter and rhubarb preserve, in a toasted sandwich.

Top drawer!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Peanut butter and....spoon! Or finger! Either is good.

The real question is what brand peanut butter? When I was little I was totally a skippy guy. But once I tried the Smucker's natural which is just peanuts and salt, I can never go back to Skippy. It just tastes like sugar to me now. The Smuckers one is maybe one of my favorite foods. I put it on anything.

Ice cream, rice cakes, english muffins, any fruit, with cheese, chocolate, chicken pasta, etc. I have never tried any of the real adventerous ones listed here like mayo and onion. I can't see that working but I'd definately try it.

Peanut butter on lightly toasted whole grain, oat-nut or black bread with chopped dates (or figs - fresh or dried) and lightly sweetened flake coconut.

I can't eat chocolate, but bittersweet chips added to the above is a favorite with most of my friends.

One can also slice an angel food loaf into horizontal slabs and use the above mixture as "filling" then wrap and chill for an hour or so and slice into sections.

It looks good too. One of my Brit friends has adopted this as a favorite for his four o'clock "tea" with his two pre-teen daughters.

I think he also makes "pinwheels" by rolling up the slabs and cutting them crosswise to make it more interesting for his girls. (Househusband - writer, learning to cook and find things his girls will eat.)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

What Katie said: PB and dark chocolate, chips even;

speaking of which, potato chips (no salt), w/ or w/o the choc. [and no, i am certifiably sane]

All this talk of scaring people!

gautam

P.S. PB flavored bread (i.e. dough flavored with PB) and chocolate(filling, slices) sandwich also a very temperate and excellent thing.

P.P.S. 1) Hot, Spiced Plantain chips (if they are of good quality) available at some Indian grocers.

2) South Indian spicy legume/coconut "chutney powders" called chutney podi-s ; and,

3) Plantain Chips, lightly sweetened, flavored with cardamom, fantastically better tasting than ithis yucky description of mine.

For 2 & 3 ideas [no sales] contact eGulleteer Peppertrail, Ammini Ramachandran; her NYT reviewed book 'Grains, Greens and Grated Coconuts' also has these recipes, in case you want to DIY. Podi-s also in "Dakshin" by Chandra Padmanabhan.

4. Fried eggplant slices, if you like eggplant. Asian eggplants especially good. Also rollatinis.

Indians stuff tiny eggplants with PB, then fry-braise them very simply, sometimes with a sprinkling of coconut. You can see how this reverse PB filling can become a great sandwich with whole wheat bread. You can try this with sweet Italian frying peppers as well.

Edited by v. gautam (log)

As much as I like PB&J, I've always preferred preserves to jelly since the texture stands up a little better to the thick peanut butter (and was also less likely to end up on the front of my shirt as a kid). Since then I've become a big fan of PB & Bananas w/ or w/o honey. But my new favorite is PB with banana slices and fresh blackberries with a touch of honey. All on wheat, btw.

I'm definitely going to try the PB and nutella though. That sounds AMAZING.

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain

I agree that there hasn't been enough emphasis on brands.

For sugared peanut butter, I like Peter Pan. It tastes more like fresh peanuts. For natural peanut butter, I like Smucker's. I hate having to stir the stuff, though. I've got a jar of some crap I bought at Trader Joe's if anyone wants it.

For jelly, it is strawberry. I have to try the orange marmalade thing.

I love, love, love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Open faced.

I also like peanut butter with bananas, and dates, too. Those little powdery extruded date things they sell at health food stores. I'm thinking that mashed bananas might be awfully good, especially if the bananas had some cinnamon and honey added . . . Sort of like peanut butter and banana jelly.

And I agree that wheat is the appropriate bread.

Of everything above, I am most anxious to try onions with my peanut butter.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.