• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter and ... ?

Shel_B

Fresh ground peanut butter on my favorite whole wheat bread http://www.vitalvittles.com is a favorite sandwich. I'll sometimes add banana, or possibly shredded carrot, maybe even some thin fruit slices or orange zest, some nuts like sunflower seed. I may try some chile peppers later today. What other combinations can you think of? I'm looking for some new ideas to kick up a peanut butter on whole wheat sandwich.

Shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Fresh ground peanut butter on my favorite whole wheat bread  http://www.vitalvittles.com is a favorite sandwich. I'll sometimes add banana, or possibly shredded carrot, maybe even some thin fruit slices or orange zest, some nuts like sunflower seed. I may try some chile peppers later today. What other combinations can you think of? I'm looking for some new ideas to kick up a peanut butter on whole wheat sandwich.

Shel

right now i'm eating a peanut butter sandwich on home made whole wheat/rye sourdough toast... with the strawberry/green fig jam i made this afternoon. the added orange peel and crysallized ginger really kick up the jam. all o' that and the crisp romaine lettuce elevate the pbj beyond the mundane.

i like your idea of the chiles. about any variety of roasted peppers would be my suggestion. i may have to try that with some anaheim's i roasted recently. :biggrin:

fruit chutneys are really good paired with peanut butter and whole wheat/whole grain breads also.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Fresh ground peanut butter on my favorite whole wheat bread  http://www.vitalvittles.com is a favorite sandwich. I'll sometimes add banana, or possibly shredded carrot, maybe even some thin fruit slices or orange zest, some nuts like sunflower seed. I may try some chile peppers later today. What other combinations can you think of? I'm looking for some new ideas to kick up a peanut butter on whole wheat sandwich.

Shel

How about sour green apples, or fresh berries?

When I was a kid, my best friend use to eat fried balogna and peanut butter sandwiches, though I wouldn't recommend it.

Peanut butter with sundried tomato pesto (I like this on curry-naan from Trader Joe's).

We used to make sandwiches with peanut butter and nectarines. Your idea with chilis sounds like it would go well with this combination.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Peanut butter and...

...mayo and sliced bananas

...thinly shaved red onion, and a bit of Sriracha

...chunky apple sauce (homemade, preferably, the stuff in jars is too smooth). Even better sprinkled with chopped salted nuts.

... sliced banana sprinkled with wheat germ, crushed cereal, or granola, great textural appeal, drizzled with honey, for awesomeness.

...bacon, honey. or Bacon and tomato slices. Or spread one side of a BLT with PB instead of mayo, but mayo the other side.

If you're tired of wheat bread, peanut butter on a hot, toasted onion bagel is one of my favorite weekday breakfasts. If you want to die a little sooner, butter the bagel lightly first, then layer on the PB.

Or, one I haven't tried, never will, but would be curious to see someone besides my stepmom eat: Peanut butter and spicy brown mustard on toast.

Stoner food: Peanut butter, Cocoa puffs, and marshmallow fluff. If you put it on wheat bread, you can call it healthy!

I love crunchy things with peanut butter, and crunchy peanut butter.

Duck confit and Tabasco pepper jelly.

It started as a home version of a sandwich at Bayona, and kept changing according to what I had in the house, and became ... peanut butter, duck confit, and Tabasco pepper jelly.

Nutella, baby! Are you in the East Bay? PB & N on Arizmendi Wednesday loaf. And it travels very well.

Yes, I'm in the east bay. Haven't been to Arizmendi in ages ... thanks for the reminder :rolleyes:

Shel

... Shel

chunky Adams on vanilla ice cream with a sprinkle of sweet hot chile from New Mexico!!! between twoo cookies it is a sandwich

I need to go make dinner you guys are killing me here

I love peanut butter beyond reason!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Flutternutters.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Everyone once in a while I go for a Peanut Butter and Vegemite sandwich :sad:

It's a memory from my childhood, when we didn't have alot of money, and you did what you had to do ..... I guess in some ways it's comfort food :biggrin:

Tom

I want food and I want it now

I would have to use unsalted PB with either Marmite or Vegemite.

Are you near a Trader Joe's? If so, pick up a jar of their Tomatoless Corn Salsa, which comes in a clear, kind of retro-label container. It's more of a sweet relish than a salsa, and it's crunchy and sort of spicy.

Perfect with peanut butter. Last year I was totally addicted to the combo.