• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Underground" Restaurants

fischwlu

I was invited to dinner at one in Vancouver back in '05. It was in a small apartment near Granville Island, up an odd elevator, and then a couple of turns. It was very much a chef's table affair, with us clustered about the chef's wok as he dished up one thing after another - prawns, chicken, a lobster slain before our eyes (and between his), noodles, and a host of other items. A great view over False Creek, some good wines and beer, and a very pleasant evening.

The chef's plan had been to target lawyers with clients and other groups that he could work up through word of mouth. Unfortunately, when I was back in 2006 and asked, I found out that things hadn't worked out, and he'd gone back to catering.

An interesting side to this is that, beyond the "guerrilla cooking" aspect, there's a whole slew of underground support for these things. In particular I was interested in the fellow that could come and hook up your natural gas lines so that your pressure was that little bit better than anyone else's in the complex.

It all reminded me of the Robert DeNiro ninja central heating repairman in Brazil.