• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bukhara Restaurant

adey73

For you Egulleters in the Northwest may I deeply recommend Bukhara (no I have no connection to it, before you neysayers start) and they really don't need your custom, but boy get down there.

Better in my opinion than East meets West in Manchester, even superior to Al Faisals in Birmingham (been to all these places in the past month & numerous times before hand).

But may I just ask, in relation to Al Faisals, does any one know how to make their Tak-a-Tak Tawa style dishes? As they are fantastic?

adey73, i'll second that.

i love bukhara. it's my family's new favourite. although my mum might put in a vote for victoria's india in longridge.

bukhara house special biriani is pure bliss. and the mango salad that everybody seems to have. no booze so go for a big jug of lime and cumin juice. service is brilliant.

have you tried the leg of lamb for four?

Leg of lamb for 4? Sweet mamma! Need to give that a go!

Had most of the starters, but the Afghani lamb is my favourite, I’ve also unsuccessfully tried to replicate it (yes I bought a tandoor off ebay). The Methi Chicken is thus far my favourite main… Am attempting that on Saturday. (From a recipe kindly supplied by the mighty Molecular Curryoligist Waaza on the India forum…. He is the man incidentally…)

I’ve been consistently underwhelmed by Victoria’s India, especially in relation to the hype and ‘awards’ on their site and how that relates to the actual food. I’ve eaten in Atul Kulchar’s Benares, it was very good, but not stratospheric. Who gets what gong and why for Indian restaurants seems to be entirely arbitrary or at least a function of the PR industry.

Am sure Bukhara’s owners don’t care because they’re rammed every night.