• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato pie!

Sony

Inspired by Laurie Colwin's Tomato essay, I made my 1st attempt at tomato pie. So delicious! With a handful of ingredients and a wee bit o' time, one of the most satisfying things emerged from the oven....I love it when that happens!

My take was a little more like tomato cobbler than tomato pie, because I only made a top crust. So much liquid was exuded, I wondered how the bottom crust would

bake...I can't imagine that it would bake as much as simmer like a savory dumpling (?) Maybe someone can speak to their experience.....would squeezing out the "guts" help without removing too much tomato goodness??

Anyway here's my version:

Preheat oven to 400' F.

Quickly and lightly mix:

3 TB COLD unsalted butter, cut in teeny pieces

1 cup flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 cup milk

Roll into an 8-inch round.

Thinly slice tomatoes-I used about 1 pound beefsteak tomatoes. I also had a leek kicking around in the fridge, so I sliced that up and sauteed it for addition in a little extra virgin olive oil.

Assembly:

-Bit of extra virgin olive oil in the bottom of an 8-inch cake pan.

-Layer in sliced tomatoes.

-Top with 4 thin layers mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz. total)- just plain part-skim, not the good buffalo mozzarella.

-Sprinkle on chopped fresh basil and oregano. (about 1 TB of each)

-Pour on 1/4 cup mayo (I used prepared :shock: REDUCED-FAT :shock::shock: mayo :raz: ) mixed with the juice of 1/2 lime (about 3 TB).

-Evenly sprinkle with the leeks.

-Top with the crust and tuck around the edges.

-Slash the top crust a few times.

Place on a baking sheet (in case of any excess burbling) and bake for 20-30 minutes, until the crust is golden.

Cool until you can't stand it and scoop up some juicy goodness for dinner.

Apparently, this is supposed to be good leftover and re-heated the next day. We shall see :wink: .

I believe that beefsteak tomatoes have a pretty high water content, and romas have less, but I could be mistaken.

My mom makes a pretty awesome tomato tart that I think actually originally came from a martha stewart magazine. It uses prepared puff pastry (my favourite thing ever) for the crust, dijon mustard (this is the weird part, but its not very much and I'm ashamed to say I always scarf down my portion too fast to consider what it brings), goat cheese, a little garlic, and tomato slices that have been previously roasted on parchment paper to dry them up a bit and concentrate the flavour. Oh, and basil of course, but I'm a little torn as to whether its better to put it on before or after baking. Not that it matters really. It's soo good. :wub:

Kate

Another version, using phyllo, can be seen here (pardon photo; I hadn't learned yet how to turn the flash off on the camera).

There's something really beguiling about the ultra-flaky phyllo crust and the tomatoes.

Reminder to self: Make this again while the season is still upon us!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"