• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When you're so desperate for something sweet . . .

Fat Guy

KARENR65:

I LOVE frozen Cool-Whip....I buy it JUST for the purpose of freezing and eating it!

AM I weird? I suppose I am! HAHA

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I agree with the wonder bread, butter and sugar sandwich.

My siblings and I would tear off the bread's crust, pinch the bread until it was very thin and almost doughy, then add the butter and sugar. Fold the bread in half, and then in half again. Or, you could roll it up.

We were desperately trying to imitate my grandmother's lefse. YUM.

it's frightening to realize that I've made and eaten almost every one of the terrible treats mentioned--although the snow cone made with kool aid syrup is a great improv--I give four stars for that idea!!!

The hub is the nestle's chocolate ship thief--I have a giant bag from Costco that I thought i had well hidden, but no, found him munching from it the other day.

if all else fails--cheerios with milk and at least three spoonfulls of sugar--brown sugar is good if you haven't already eaten that (see above!)

Zoe

(it's good to be with your own kind)

I'm seeing definite levels of desperation in this thread -- some people are talking about when they have not much to choose from and some people really go to the down and dirty of when there is nothing in the house (like chocolate, hey, eating your baking chocolate supply when you're hungry for something sweet is not desperate enough).

I'm with the sugar on bread people and I'm inspired by the brown sugar people. Of course, a baked apple with loads of extra sugar helps, and a bowl of yogurt with like a quarter cup of apricot preserves helps . . .

How about those times when you could bake, but you want something ridiculously fast? I once started a thread about Quickies in the 8 by 8 that didn't fly very far. I was disappointed.

I want a recipe for cereal bowl cookies. Like, whip up a half dozen cookies in ten minutes! Good ones!

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I want a recipe for cereal bowl cookies.  Like, whip up a half dozen cookies in ten minutes!  Good ones!

I'm not sure what you mean by cereal bowl exactly, but my husband will even make these. I've never added marshmallows. And you can eat them out of the pot if you want to. An hour to set up? By the time you're finished dropping them you can eat the first one or a few minutes in the freezer works wonders.

Dots. Wonderful sticky goodness.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

• 11 months later...

scene 1 act 1

you have a really nasty slice of gelatinous supermarket cheese cake and some chocolate chips in the house

how about if I melt the chips and add the cheesecake and rechill?

too much chocolate to cheesecake....add some more cream cheese

now its grainy

screw it add an egg, some vanilla, and a little flour and bake it

ahhh oven is finished preheating , wish me ...umm brownies

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Leftover pancake, toast it. Smear with jelly and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Roll up or not to eat.

Take those mini-marshmallows and put on a small pan or piece of foil and run under the broiler.

Canned frosting kept in the fridge.

Have a dad who makes taste-alike Russel Stover candy-have him send you just the filling (sugar, coconut, pecans,vanilla, etc) and keep it in the freezer or fridge-eat by the spoon as needed.

I used to be able to whip up a 4-cookie batch of no-bake oatmeal cookies to eat while I did homework.

Mix sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and enough water or milk to make a thin paste, spread it over those left-over graham crackers, bake until glaze is bubbly, cool enough to eat.

I usually just make some cinnamon toast, or toast dope toast, or toast with jam.

I also keep a jar of Cajeta Quemada, the traditional goat's milk type, in the back of the fridge for just such occasions. The friend who introduced me to the stuff (Coronado brand at the time, I now get locally made) when I lived in Santa Fe back in the mid 80's insisted that there was simply no better use for it than eating it from a spoon -and it was an essential pantry item for his fridge. One time, when the local market ran out, we drove to Mexico to get more.

ooooh definately the spoonful of condensed milk straight from the tin, have been known to open the tin just for that first spoonful...

failing that a spoonful of honey or jam... & my homemade lemon curd never makes it's way onto bread..

While baking cookies for the holidays I reverted to my childhood and prepared a slice of bread spread thinly with soft butter then sprinkled with hundreds of thousands. I can recall with great clarity my grandmother preparing this for me and cutting the "sandwich" into tiny triangles. The crunch was the best part.

As a diabetic I must carefully watch my sugar intake but reasoned that a teaspoon of these tiny candies would not cause too much damage and it did keep me from being tempted by the richer cookies I was baking.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett