• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When you're so desperate for something sweet . . .

Fat Guy

When I was a kid, I'd spoon the dry Nestle Quik mix straight into my mouth. It's quite a talent to not inhale the dry powder and choke yourself to death on it ! I'd also nibble on the frozen chocolate chip cookie dough Mom would stash in the freezer like slice and bake dough.

Now, well.......let's just say that Hershey's Syrup in a squeeze bottle is probably the single most important invention in the history of Mankind. Whoever thought this up should be sainted.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

When I was a kid, there were plenty of these: powdered milk with sugar, sometimes with Ovaltine/ Milo, chocolate syrup, condensed milk by the spoonful.

Now it's just Hershey's Miniatures. (Everything but Mr. Goodbar.)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

When I was a kid, there were plenty of these: powdered milk with sugar, sometimes with Ovaltine/ Milo, chocolate syrup, condensed milk by the spoonful.

Now it's just Hershey's Miniatures. (Everything but Mr. Goodbar.)

I'll take your Mr. Goodbars. :biggrin:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

spoonfuls of dulche de leche

leftover choclolate or pecan frosting (homemade of course) over saltines or to dip preztel in

quickly made s'more over gas burner

maple syrup on something; cottage cheese, corn bread or find something quick

"A few days ago, I heard a doctor talking on television about the dangers of stress. It can kill you. It can cause a heart attack or stroke. The doctor listed many ways of coping with stress. Exercise. Diet Yoga. Talk a walk. I yelled, "Bake cookies." I often talk to the television. I yelled it again and again. The doctor went on with his list of 12 ways to reduce stress and he never once mentioned my sure-fire treatment......"

Maida Heatter

For some ungodly reason, when I crave sweets, I can eat a sour pickle and be satisfied. I'm a diabetic and have to avoid (sugary) sweets but the tart tang of a pickle will kill the craving. Of course, I LOVE sugar free Dove chocolates, and the Russell Stover ones, too, but the pickles will do the trick!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

If it's been a long day and my head is aching and my soul is hurting, there's nothing like sticking a can of sweetened condensed milk in the oven for about an hour or a little more, and spooning the hot caramel into my mouth right out of the can. I can gauge just how bad a day it's been by how much of the stuff I'm able to consume before it's just way too much. But it's got to have been a really bad day before I'll let myself consume that amount of calories. (I work for a divorce attorney, and all too often find myself trying to explain to people why they do have to behave themselves. :blink: )

Last night I was desperate, and made a concoction of melted butterscotch chips, marshmallow fluff, and sunflower seed butter. Ended up being a kind of fudgy texture. It was pretty good.

Tonight I've resorted to konpeito, but after the nerf herders go to bed, I'll probably bake cookies or brownies.

Cheryl

If I need a quick sweet fix, I'll mix a couple of heaping tablespoons of chunky peanut butter with some semisweet or bitter sweet chocolate chips. You gotta try it!!

Once I was so desperate for something sweet, I chewed a couple of sugar free lemon mint Ricola cough drops. I know....so sad...... :unsure:

... so desperate for something sweet and with chocolate that you actually eat a chocolate fortune cookie that was stashed away in the cupboard (just in case) instead of pulling out the fortune and throwing away the cookie.

I did this and could barely face the prospect of eating anything at all with chocolate or even a plain old regular fortune cookie for months after. It was that traumatic.

Um, Melissa, what's a spoonful of Nutella? That stuff comes in jars for a REASON! :laugh:

A spoonful can be however big your spoon is. And I'm simply defining a spoon as a bowl with a handle. By this definition, a one-cup measure could be a spoon...as long as you're willing to get Nutella on your chin, nose, and eyelashes licking it out!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

When I was a kid, I'd spoon the dry Nestle Quik mix straight into my mouth.  It's quite a talent to not inhale the dry powder and choke yourself to death on it ! 

:laugh::laugh:

Oh come on. Nobody else digs into the frozen orange juice concentrate and eats it like ice cream? The lemonade concentrate is so tangy you can hardly form words after a spoonful or two.

Six month old candy conversation hearts leftover from Valentine's Day.

Yikes. Those things are nasty. A guy I knew in college (who may or may not be known on certain internet fora as "phatj") once crushed one of those and snorted it like coke. It hurt -- A LOT. Or so I heard.

Anyway, I've definitely hit the chocolate chips for a sweet fix. Leftover frosting on any available medium (including salty Triscuits, recently). The buttered tortillas with brown sugar mentioned earlier are excellent.

I (often,I hate to admit) break a chunk off an unsweetened chocolate bar, throw it in the micro with either or both a smigeon of butter and a glug of milk, get it melted and add some powdered sugar, mix vigorously - to burn a few calories and voila--frosting!!! Hits the spot every time!

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

• 3 months later...

A rock of raw sugar (I have 2 in a tiny bottle JUST to look at right now)

A packet of any kind of sugar (best when warmed by my #1boy's heart, unavailable for the next 6 years :sad: )

A spoonful of tahina in a ramekin, topped with raw sugar and microwaved for 30 seconds- mix with the teaspoon and YAY!

Raw sugar, cooked in a tiny pot, until it liquefies and caramelizes, then a tiny bit of butter is added, and stirred in, alongside a pinch of salt. I try to eat it all before it solidifies or I go wild trying to get the remains off of the inside the pot!

A heaping amount of cocoa powder mixed with a somewhat smaller heaping amount of raw sugar, a dash of vanilla and a pinch of salt- all thrown into a mug with water, then microwaved for 2 minutes. Stir this well, and thank me after you scrape your eyeballs off of the ceiling.*this covers both the chocolate craving AND the sugar craving in one go.*

An immense handful of dried fruits, especially apricots, prunes, pineapple and raisins, with some candied ginger tossed into the mix.

Apricot leather, the old fashioned kind- thick and slightly oily, and delicious.

I do a lot of sugar jonesing- I'm expert at getting straight to the rush.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Nutella, peanut butter, those mini marshmellows, hot cocoa by the spoon....

a PB&J, or just break down and bake some cookies, brownies, something.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I have an ice machine, the ice drops into a tray. Next to the tray is another tray, in which there is stashed Reese's miniatures.

I have just understood that my kid thought there was a little machine in there making peanut butter cups. :wub:

But it just goes to show you what a staple they are in my freezer.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”