• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When you're so desperate for something sweet . . .

Fat Guy

. . . that you eat Nestle semi-sweet morsels straight from the bag.

. . . that you eat honey straight from the jar.

Next?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Ghirardelli Semi Sweet Chocolate Blocks for cooking (sorry, can't tell you what they are really called, because I ate them all during the Federer match the other night). Anyway, they're good.

Also, currently coming out of my backyard are about a bazillion figs (floodwaters are great fertilizer-I highly recommend it, distribution is easy though it's kinda hard to control) which are great when cut in half and cold cream with brown sugar is added over the top of them.

Jelly Bellys-any flavor. Anytime. Anywhere.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ghirardelli Semi Sweet Chocolate Blocks for cooking (sorry, can't tell you what they are really called, because I ate them all during the Federer match the other night). Anyway, they're good.

omg, mayhaw man, i just did that last night. :biggrin: sooo guilty!

i have also been known to consume inordinate amounts of jelly in times such as these. jelly smeared on toast, crackers... oh, who am i kidding-- a butter knife will do just fine.

"i dream of cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies." -talking heads

Jelly! Totally forgot about that one.

Be right back . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Jelly, hmmm

my Italian grandmother would make me a ricotta jelly sandwich when I was little (my grandfather used to hide blocks of chocolate in the dining room sideboard); sweet strawberry or grape jelly, on really good bread, and fresh, whole milk ricotta. Yum!

Or Nutella from the jar.

At the shop (where I'm surrounded by buttercream and cake) I've also been known to take a handful of craisins, milk chocolate callets, pecans and chow down.

omg, mayhaw man, i just did that last night. :biggrin: sooo guilty!

i have also been known to consume inordinate amounts of jelly in times such as these. jelly smeared on toast, crackers... oh, who am i kidding-- a butter knife will do just fine.

I prefer the bittersweet. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Semi-sweet chocolate chips was my afternoon "treat" at my grandparents' house. I was allowed 10, and would line them up, and then make a circle with them, and try to stretch them as long as possible. Unsurprisingly, Grandma was very fit.

Today I'm having some strawberry preserves I'd made on some bread with butter.

you visit all the people in your building that might have a chocolate stash.

you eat the day old pastries in the teachers' lounge. You KNOW they weren't good to start with if they lived to be a day old in the teachers' lounge.

you see one of your middle school students with candy in the hallway and instead of making them throw it out or giving them detention, you make them share with you 50/50.

Condensed milk straight from the fridge........what's leftover ofcourse!

Oh YES, I love that stuff. Remember when we used to spread it on white bread and toast it over the campfire? Supposed to taste like angel food cake.....and it did!

Also, for chocolate the Mexican disks that you use for making cocoa.....already sugared and with a bit of cinnamon.

Miniature marshmallows.

But only if everyone's back is turned.  Really, they're best if one is alone in the house.

I'm not sure if anyone else is privy to the fact but based on my experience, if you have an ancient box of instant hot cocoa with marshmallows hiding somewhere in your cupboards, the packets can be torn open to find tiny little hard nuggety marshmallows that try to hide in the cocoa powder.

Quite delightfully aged and special.

:rolleyes::wink:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

A shot of maple syrup straight from the bottle gets the monkey off my back.

hey, at least you're not chugging a bottle of good ol' aunt jemima's pancake syrup.. i have a college friend who loves making a contest of it, super troopers style.

if i do crave sugar, i usually pay the price. significant amounts of sugar usually make my tummy angry. :sad:

doesn't stop me from craving candy (usually fruit jam-filled dark chocolate)! although those hot cocoa marshmellows are mighty tasty!

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I don't keep much sweet stuff in the house (on purpose), but there is always grape jelly (and there is always peanut butter), and when I get the craving, I dig them out. It's been known to happen at 3 in the morning when I should be asleep. Though I remember once years ago being hit by the craving and not having those and just eating a little bit of... believe it or not... sugar!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Raspberry preserves, honey, marmalade, peanut butter, maple or chocolate syrups by the spoonful. To make the raid seem a little more special I use my trusty, slightly bent sterling teaspoon for dippin.'

By the fingerful- brown sugar, cookie/cake sprinkles and even a bit of unsweetened cocoa. Go figure.

Let's not forget a handful or two of dry cereal.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks