• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant kitchen pay

BigboyDan

My concern is what happens in a few more years when Young culinarians decide that they are not gona deal with low pay and long hours just to say you worked with said chef.  This is a very possible trend given tht younger people are wanting more for less.  Will fine dining restaurants mo ve to simpler foods to deal with less employees or will wages increase.  ( I have heard from a few chefs with concern of having  hard time finding and keeping good employees)

Why is that a concern? Restaurants are a business, not a charity. If employees aren't getting paid enough, they leave. Prestige, working for a good chef - this stuff doesn't mean shit when you can't pay your bills... I for one don't feel the least bit sorry for a restaurant that can't provide a decent work environment.

I think both of your scenarios will happen. Higher wages, less employees, and simpler food. The days of having a huge brigade are over, restaurants will have to have a small core of professional, well paid cooks, and figure out a way to still turn out great food (ie. simplicity).

It's always interesting to look through the job advertisements and see who's hiring. Restaurants that 4 years ago had stacks of resumes to burn through, now are taking out ads for help. Restaurants that 4 years ago paid minimum wage, now are paying 18 dollars an hour...