• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picnick, Battery Park

Jesikka

There doesn't seem to be any real coverage of it yet, but Gothamist has an article about Goldfarb's new kiosk in Battery Park. Great quote from the article: "We wanted to create food that was healthy, but not overly healthy."

http://gothamist.com/2007/07/24/picnic_at_batte.php

There's no mention of whether Goldfarb will be doing dessert and little discussion of the food.

Edited to show correct location.

Edited by Jesikka (log)

• 1 month later...

http://www.mypicnick.com/index.php

So we stopped by yesterday. Aside from a curious lack of straws, and being out of the chicken, the food was fantastic. Tried the ham and cheese (good), pork and roll (very very good), panna cotta (amazing), and the apple pound cake (so moist it should be illegal).

If the (very) early returns are any indication, this is another great addition to park eating, very capable of being Shake Shack/'wichcraft good.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

OK, went back today. I thought they were kidding yesterday... They don't have straws. Apparently, the park doesn't let them have them due to littering concerns. So bring your own.

They also seem to be out of the chicken quite a bit, which makes me sad because I want to try it... Had the tuna, which was incredibly excellent. very creamy and flavorful. Also had the chocolate chip cookie and the blueberry muffin, neither of which were quite as good as the pound cake and panna cotta. The lowfat nature of the muffin really handicaps it.

Yesterday, we had the lemonade, and it was really good. I thought it would be my drink of choice.

Today, I had the homemade peach soda, which is one of, if not the very best beverage I've ever had. But it's quite sticky to drink, so bring a straw.

I will more than likely be back tomorrow. This is so much better than all of the other food options in walking distance from my office...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Hoping someone else starts writing in this thread, or else I'm going to start thinking I'm the only person eating there.

Finally had the chicken today (arrived a few minutes after noon). Will mentioned that they had made twice as much as before, so hopefully the supply issues will start to sort themselves out. It was very good, maybe not quite as good as the tuna, probably a bit better than the pork. For some reason, I'm not as fond of the ham and cheese, though my wife liked it the most.

Soda for the day - lemon verbena. Really refreshing. Not as transcendent as the peach, but I don't know what could be (the peach is really that insanely good).

have you had the sodas at JG and Perry Street?

how would you compare them?

Those would be my point of comparison as well. They are good enough to make me consider having them in lieu of wine (almost :wink: )

This would be a fun place to try during the upcoming ICC as it isn't very far away. I will keep it in mind if the opportunity arises.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 year later...

I was all set to go but was turned off by the pix of lines and the stories of running out of food by 1 PM...I'm all over it once the weather starts keeping the less-hardy folks away.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?