• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen 2008

Gary Marshall

Lee’s point was correct. A term is offensive not because of its origin but because of the way it is used. Marco was using it in derogatory context. He was told that the term was offensive and decided to deflect that.

If you suggest Lee’s motivation for bringing the point was simply point scoring – you’re probably right. They both came off as a couple of idiots. (With all due respect to actual idiots.)

Back to the food, I’m fairly surprised at how blasé Marco is about the quality of the food they are sending out. No?

Lee’s point was correct. A term is offensive not because of its origin but because of the way it is used. Marco was using it in derogatory context. He was told that the term was offensive and decided to deflect that.

If you suggest Lee’s motivation for bringing the point was simply point scoring – you’re probably right. They both came off as a couple of idiots. (With all due respect to actual idiots.)

Back to the food, I’m fairly surprised at how blasé Marco is about the quality of the food they are sending out. No?

No.

You see, to me, the context in which the word was used did not suggest that he was using it to describe irish travellers, but instead with a meaning interchangeable with chav or whatever other words that are used nowadays.

And no.

No !

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

ITV is not available in Canada but I just downloaded a copy of the fist five episodes of season 3 from a family member's slingbox. Looking forward to watching it over the weekend and hopefully it is a refreshing change from the U.S. version that just ended here a fortnight ago.

Stephen Bonner

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Tried watching this on saturday to see what I'd been missing but 5 minutes of MPW proved just too painful to watch - he is so completely lacking a tv personality.

Almost as bad as watching the england rugby team. Just embarrassing.

Come back Gordon, all is forgiven.

WHAT?

The guy may not be "TV personality", but he's taken the Z list celebs and worked with them, motivated them, charmed them.He looks like he's enjoyed the expereince, and his masterclasses have been great.What do you want from him,a shouty sweary ogre? A song and dance number to close the show?

PS Your wrong about England Rugby too.They are not embarrassing, they are funny.But then i'm Welsh :biggrin:

Edited by Basildog (log)

Tried watching this on saturday to see what I'd been missing but 5 minutes of MPW proved just too painful to watch - he is so completely lacking a tv personality.

I watched last night's (have missed loads of them) and thought MPW came across really well. But then again, it seemed like some of it was straight footage rather than edited let's-tell-a-story-and-up-the-ratings segment. I really hate the reality format. Hopefullly MPW will get a decent series on the back of this.

I watched last night's (have missed loads of them) and thought MPW came across really well. But then again, it seemed like some of it was straight footage rather than edited let's-tell-a-story-and-up-the-ratings segment. I really hate the reality format. Hopefullly MPW will get a decent series on the back of this.

Offcentre I think your error lies in the fact that you only watched 5 mins of a two week programme, so I do not know how you come to that conclusion??? Without a doubt MPW has abundant 'tv personality', infact a unique personality, which has had both viewers and contestants alike hooked.

Again Corrina you miss the point of MPW's appearance. This was the perfect vehicle for a chef who was about before and during the whole TV chef boom. He legendary status was based on what he did in his restaurant, not just food related, but how he motivated, inspired and his levels of dedication. Unfortunately if you did not work in his kitchen ( I haven't) then you would not get to witness this, in hells kitchens however you get a glimpse.

I mean what show would you reccomend? Something like Saturday Kitchen? Ready Steady Cook? Programmes like that give no insight into the restaurant business, but I see their appeal to people who like to cook recipes at home. If you want to experience MPW recipes, buy White Heat, Land and Sea, Mirabelle etc, saying that he did do master classes on the show.

I think this programme gave a very positive representation of the restaurant business and in particular being a chef. It showed how physically and emotionally draining it can be, but equally how rewarding and character building it can be also. It showed good team relations, how things are never personal during service and the frustrations and wind ups that occur. Not many shows or indeed chefs project a positive image of being a chef

I will miss my daily fix of MPW, and think it has been the best food related programme I have seen in years.

• 3 weeks later...