• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen 2008

Gary Marshall

That was great actually - like the Eddie Izzard sketch about guns "guns aren't dangerouse, its not guns that kill people, its people that kill people"

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Hmmm… it’s great to see MPW on television… but Hell’s Kitchen?

I am so sick of this formula. Yes… Marco is inspiring, has obviously won over the never heard of foie gras, pigs trotters or consomme brigade, and I do think that he’ll end up with a few silk purses at the end (just to stick with the pig references)… but it would be so much better if there was more cooking.

Of all the chefs on TV, he’s the one who people most want to see cook… really cook.

I was disappointed and was very glad to have a fast forward button.

Hopefully now that he's back on the radar he will come up with his own more interesting TV formula.

The only gripe I had was when he threw out those guests (God there are some twats eating out in London), I would have preferred if the Maitre 'd did not say anything and with the waiters stripped the table and left them sitting there, humiliated.

i think it was keith floyd when JC Novelli was his chef that they had a troublesome customer being rude to his staff, so they marched in and took the entire table away in one go.

you don't win friends with salad

He disappointed me. I was cringeing throughout this embarrassment of a program.  No entertainment value at all in the show for me.  I felt sorry for everyone concerned, from the celebs right through to Angus Deayton.

If MPW wants to act like a drunken has-been I guess thats his role, but the sous chefs were disgusting too.

What is the point of this program - embarrass the celebs and abuse the diners.  Is this entertainment?

um... you are aware of the point of the show?

given that this is hardly the first series, I wonder why you're so offended?

I watched it because I thought MPW would bring something to the show, some class, some food interest...something.

Unfortunately I just don't revere him enough to get past his attitude and ego and enjoy it as entertainment. At least GR was amusing (this was, admittedly, before GR become so overexposed).

I know he's a food god in this country - although this all happened before I became interested in good food. It is simply my opinion that this fact does not excuse his behaviour - or that of his sous chefs - on last nights show. For gods sake, at least try to prepare them for the task of serving 80 people instead of cussing and laughing at them.

Yes, MPW is in the kitchen. And if he does something on the program that shows his skill as a cook and a leader then it might be worth watching.

I hope it improves because on last nights evidence it has fallen into the worst category of celeb obsessed tv.

As far as I'm concerned that was no Hell's Kitchen. Indeed, as Jim Davidson rightly pointed out being in the kitchen with MPW was an experience most people would have happily paid thousand so pounds for. Yes, he snipped, particularly at the minor actors and ex-pop types in the frankly z-list celeb line up, but he also gave credit where it was due; even after having his expectations of the guys (who he transparently favoured) outperforming the girls dashed.

There was no shouting, just a firm tone, and MPW visibly relaxed after service, shaking the hands he'd turned down the day before while sitting, feet up, in front of the passe was a delight.

Sure there was drama: guests were ejected in grand style and they pretty much deserved it it must be said. High point was the guest who rejected his asparagus for being cold. "They're meant to be cold", the maitre'd remarked. "Well, there's too many of them..." the idiot stuttered.

Great TV and well played from MPW so far - the US show will need to go some way before it gets back to these heights. The difference is that MPW really seems to care that his contestants get something out of it besides 5 extra minutes of "fame." I'll be tuning in for the rest of the shows.

Read about what I've been eating at http://theeatingwell.blogspot.com/

My personal fave was his discription of frying an egg ,"you poach it in butter", it had me cheering, as my good lady wife and i have been argueing about this for fecking years.She still won't take it, even from MPW, but i have a moral victory. :biggrin:

did anyone not laugh at:

"I didn't make Gordon cry, he chose to cry"   :laugh:

There were so many great lines in that one programme I can't remember them all :laugh:

Of all the chefs on TV, he’s the one who people most want to see cook… really cook.

Hopefully now that he's back on the radar he will come up with his own more interesting TV formula.

Unfortunately you are right that he is the one chef most of us want to see cook. It's also unfortunate that the majority of the country don't have a clue who he is so won't give a monkey's about the cooking aspect. Why on earth would they know him? How on earth would the general public know who he is, a man who left the kitchen several years ago and cooked at a level that most people haven't experienced even since then, a time when the food revolution in the country (I use the term firmly with my tongue in my cheek) really took off. No appearances on Saturday morning kitchen, rescuing inner city rebels from a life of crime, no cooking as much as humanely possible in 15 minutes or travelling around outer Mongolia extolling the virtues of slow cooked Yak. IMO ITV really took a risk using him instead of one of the other rent a mob chefs.

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

He disappointed me. I was cringeing throughout this embarrassment of a program.  No entertainment value at all in the show for me.  I felt sorry for everyone concerned, from the celebs right through to Angus Deayton.

If MPW wants to act like a drunken has-been I guess thats his role, but the sous chefs were disgusting too.

What is the point of this program - embarrass the celebs and abuse the diners.  Is this entertainment?

um... you are aware of the point of the show?

given that this is hardly the first series, I wonder why you're so offended?

I watched it because I thought MPW would bring something to the show, some class, some food interest...something.

Unfortunately I just don't revere him enough to get past his attitude and ego and enjoy it as entertainment. At least GR was amusing (this was, admittedly, before GR become so overexposed).

I know he's a food god in this country - although this all happened before I became interested in good food. It is simply my opinion that this fact does not excuse his behaviour - or that of his sous chefs - on last nights show. For gods sake, at least try to prepare them for the task of serving 80 people instead of cussing and laughing at them.

Yes, MPW is in the kitchen. And if he does something on the program that shows his skill as a cook and a leader then it might be worth watching.

I hope it improves because on last nights evidence it has fallen into the worst category of celeb obsessed tv.

I can't quite reconcile this post. you claim to have seen the show before, and been amused by gordon (WTF??), and yet you seem to object to the format at it's most base? that's what it does.

maybe it would be better viewing if Marco gave them all foot massages? :raz:

Edited by Scott (log)

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

But don't they watch because its a celebrity chef as well? Ramsay, Novelli, Rhodes - they weren't exactly new names to the public, they already had a certain appeal beyond foodies, maybe only to non foodies? :laugh:. Marco guarantees people with an interest in food and not a lot else (I would of thought).

I don't know for sure, it's difficult to find a average Joe, especially here.But if you look at some of the celebs, they have been picked because of the people they will draw into the show.If you appeal to the foodies by having the biggest name possible, then the show has the best chance of pulling the figures it needs.Would there be any other chef you would prefer to see on the show?

I would have thought that the "foodies" that would be drawn to the show would be in the hundreds of thousands at best. I bet that Ainsley Harriot would be a more popular draw with the regular public but he wouldn't provide enough friction to make the format work.

I think we should start a campaign to get marco back in the kitchen. I'd love to see him come back and get three stars.

But don't they watch because its a celebrity chef as well? Ramsay, Novelli, Rhodes - they weren't exactly new names to the public, they already had a certain appeal beyond foodies, maybe only to non foodies? :laugh:. Marco guarantees people with an interest in food and not a lot else (I would of thought).

The format is probably enough to carry the show now, as long as the chef is horrible enough to the "contestants".

I saw 15 minutes while on a treadmill in the gym (the irony was not lost on me) but I liked what I saw.

When he's pontificating away in that rather strange manner of his, Marco reminds me a bit of Jimmy Saville. Both from Leeds aren't they?

Indeed. A strange and totally arguable fact(oid) is that the two people to have most influence on 'high culture' in Britain over the last twenty years were from Leeds council estates---Marco and Mr. Damian Hirst.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

I don't know for sure, it's difficult to find a average Joe, especially here.But if you look at some of the celebs, they have been picked because of the people they will draw into the show.If you appeal to the foodies by having the biggest name possible, then the show has the best chance of pulling the figures it needs.Would there be any other chef you would prefer to see on the show?

3.6m viewers

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

Probably an old one but when he called out

'What are fingers for?'

and the reply came..

'Burning, chef'

Had me in stitches :biggrin:

Despite the fact that a reprint is coming the show means that second hand copies of White Heat are doing a ton on ebay (122 quid and counting for one copy!!)