• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston Baked Beans and Bean Pots

I have been on a quest to find a good bean pot to make Boston baked beans, because I haven't had any since my childhood, when my mom would get out a bean pot, buy some salt pork, molasses, and dried beans, and go to town. But it strikes me that someone, somewhere, in the greater New England area must actually serve Boston baked beans during the fall season. I'm not talking about canned crap here; I'm talking about the real deal.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I just had some at Parkers Maple Barn in Mason NH the other day -- you get a choice of kidney, pea, or a mix, and like most things on the menu that could be, they're sweetened with maple syrup (though I think there's also molasses in there -- either that or they use Grade B).

A little soupy for my taste, and the place is fairly expensive for what you get -- my $4.50 maple frappe wasn't much bigger than a small soda at McDonald's -- but they're definitely not from a can. I go a couple times a year, when I'm picking up syrup.

(They also have Indian pudding and grapenut pudding sometimes, other New England items I don't see much of.)

The best baked beans I ever had came from a small convenience store in Tyngsboro MA. They were home made and (I believe) available only on Saturdays. Good stuff.

Don't remember the name and it's been years since we last had them but if you're ever near the Nashua border and feel like driving around, the place may still be there.

I know it's not much help but, gosh darn it, I miss those beans.

try a search on ebay for a pot. or try pfaltzfraft(SP?) they make them in several patterns. i used my 20 year old pot from them on saturday and it still works very well. don't forget you need to soak the beans overnight in cold water and then boil with a pinch of baking soda before putting them in the pot.

Edited by katbalou (log)

Chris, do you mean bean pots like these? I have the second one down, although I almost always use my Le Creuset to make baked beans, which I make almost every time I smoke a pork shoulder.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

In Falmouth, MA, a new place called Pie a la Mode had baked beans during the winter and offers them frozen during the summer. They're a bit on the sweet side. The "bean gravy" is a bit thin for my taste, but has onions and is tasty.

Good question. They were ubiquitous during my childhood but I haven't had them in years. My mother's version was of the bitter/sweet variety that was heavy on dark molassas and salt pork. Very good, now that I think about it.

maybe we could orchestrate a come-back if we could properly pair them with other foods?

Just got back from Plymouth Mass. with my little girl. At the Plimouth Plantation store you can find an authentic Boston Baked Bean Pot. It comes with recipes too. I'm sure the store is online if you want to check it out. I almost bought one but got too sucked into the lobster shaped lollypops.

Melissa