• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

State Fair Food Entries

dianalane

Do any egullet members enter their jams and jellies, baked goods, etc in the State Fair? I usually enter the baked goods competitions. It's so much fun to bake your heart out and then see what the judges say. Most have very good constructive criticism.

"A few days ago, I heard a doctor talking on television about the dangers of stress. It can kill you. It can cause a heart attack or stroke. The doctor listed many ways of coping with stress. Exercise. Diet Yoga. Talk a walk. I yelled, "Bake cookies." I often talk to the television. I yelled it again and again. The doctor went on with his list of 12 ways to reduce stress and he never once mentioned my sure-fire treatment......"

Maida Heatter

What I find really interesting about the MN State Fair is the differences between the winning entries from the home cooks vs. the pro's (like the meat markets and cheese and butter makers). Among the home cooks, there seem to be favourites, but when you get to the pro's, they seem to feature mostly different folks every year, save a couple of them.

And, geez, on the last day of the fair, that cream cake sure looks sad in the fridge case.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"