• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

family vacation in october

Th Zucchini Family (including my parents and our seven-year-old son) is planning a short trip to Seattle/Bainbridge Island. We're thinking of staying on the Island and then popping into Seattle a couple of times during the second weekend in October. Is it fairly easy to pop back and forth on the ferry? Can anyone reccomend a good place to stay on Bainbridge?

Mom and I are garden crazy, so that's the main reason we want to stay on the island. Our family is also crazy about Halloween, so we'll be looking for shops with funky decorations and costumes. Below is a list of some of the places we're thinking of getting. Our libraries are closed because of a city strike, so I don't have a guide to Seattle yet, but I was wondering if you could reccomend some good quality casual spots to eat or cool shops for us to check out around the places I've listed. I also love good junk shops.

Many Thanks!

Lori

Seattle:

Science Fiction Museum and Children's Museum

Museum of Flight (for my dad)

Ye Olde Curiosity Shop

Flora and Fauna Books 3121 W. Government Way

The Secret Garden Bookshop (Ballard)

Bainbridge Island:

farmer's market

Kids Discovery Museum

Mesozeo Gardens

Bloedel Reserve

Bainbridge Gardens

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Th Zucchini Family (including my parents and our seven-year-old son) is planning a short trip to Seattle/Bainbridge Island. We're thinking of staying on the Island and then popping into Seattle a couple of times during the second weekend in October. Is it fairly easy to pop back and forth on the ferry? Can anyone reccomend a good place to stay on Bainbridge?

Mom and I are garden crazy, so that's the main reason we want to stay on the island. Our family is also crazy about Halloween, so we'll be looking for shops with funky decorations and costumes. Below is a list of some of the places we're thinking of getting. Our libraries are closed because of a city strike, so I don't have a guide to Seattle yet, but I was wondering if you could reccomend some good quality casual spots to eat or cool shops for us to check out around the places I've listed. I also love good junk shops.

Many Thanks!

Lori

Seattle:

Science Fiction Museum and Children's Museum

Museum of Flight (for my dad)

Ye Olde Curiosity Shop

Flora and Fauna Books 3121 W. Government Way

The Secret Garden Bookshop (Ballard)

Bainbridge Island:

farmer's market

Kids Discovery Museum

Mesozeo Gardens

Bloedel Reserve

Bainbridge Gardens

Hi, I hope you have a wonderful time here. I can vouch for the Children's Museum. It's fabulous. While you're there you might want to check out the Pacific Science Center, at the same location (they're both at the Seattle Center -- two different admissions, though, unfortunately). They have a special dinosaur exhibit right now that I just saw with my 4-year-old nephew. I think an older child would appreciate it more, probably, but my nephew and I had a great time. Also, once you're in the Science Center you're in for all the kid exhibits like the Insects/Butterflies exhibit going on now, the hands-on tidepool feature, etc. Check their Web site out when you have a chance.

http://pacificsciencecenter.org/

But I'm really writing to warn you of the ferry fares. I had occasion a few weeks ago to go to Bainbridge Island via the Kingston ferry and was shocked! to discover it was $15 one-way for car and driver, i.e., $30 round trip!! You can see I don't ride the ferries very often -- last time I did I think it was like $7 one-way and then you didn't have to pay to come back. So check out the prices if that's a concern. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Have fun!

SusieQ

It would be quite easy to pop over to Seattle to see the downtown sights (where you wouldn't need a car)-where it gets to be an expensive hassle is when you'll need to bring your car for the Museum of Flight or Ballard. People commute on these ferries so you will undoubtedly have to wait if you try to bring your car on during morning and evening rush hours.

I haven't been to the Bainbridge Market but I would definitely check out some of the Seattle ones (esp. Ballard)-we get the vendors from sunny, hot eastern Washington and thus have a great variety of items.

Bloedel is wonderful-good choice.

Edited by kiliki (log)

Hi Lori

The ferry between Bainbridge and downtown is an easy twenty minute ride. They do charge passengers one-way, and car-drivers both ways, but by the time you are here it will be the less spendy off-season rate. Here is a link to everything about the ferries..Ferries. Seattle also has a decent bus system which is free downtown. BusBusBus

If you enjoy walking, the boat puts you a short walk from the south end of downtown at Marion. Flora and Fauna is in Pioneer Square nearby. You are close to Pike Place Market, Seattle Art Museum, the new Olympic Sculpture Park (a long walk), and the Aquarium.

As for Halloween, I was in Belfair (south of Bainbridge) today and saw a flyer for the craziest Halloween ever--a haunted junkyard. Yikes. There is also a fun haunted house in Silverdale, where I live, and I'm sure there are some on the island or nearby.

There is lots and lots of good food in and around town. There are some great ideas in the forum here. And let us know what kind of food you hope to find.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

In terms of cra-zee Halloween decor (including a bunch of food-related wackiness, so I'm still sort of on-topic :biggrin: ), I strenuously recommend Archie McPhee in Ballard. Both adults and kidling will also probably dig the Fremont Troll. Pity you won't be in town for Trolloween. Both Ballard and Fremont are fun neighborhoods to wander around in general, with a number of interesting shops and eateries, though both were rapidly gentrifying when I moved away five years ago so I don't know if they're as fun as I remember them being ... :smile:

Edited by mizducky (log)

Thanks Mizducky, SusiQ, tsquare, kiliki and tamiam for your info and advice. Trolloween! How I would love to be a part of that--maybe in future years. My son likes to us a to host a halloween party every year for his friends. However, I think a photo-op with the Fremont Troll may be in order, and I covet the Gorgons vs. Harpie bendy monsters available at Archie McPhee! Fremont sounds like such a cool neighborhood. The haunted junkyard sounds wonderful, but it's probably too scary for my boy. He's more at the Scooby Doo level of spookiness.

From what you've all said, I think we should spend two nights staying in Seattle and two nights in Bainbridge. That might be the best use of our time and dough. Then we can park the car at the hotel and use transit in Seattle. We also love to walk, but mom and dad need to take it a bit easier.

As for food--taco stands, good pizza, diners, bakeries, and chocolate. I think that's the appropriate list for this trip. Maybe Peter and I can slip out one night to a nice lounge.

Thanks Again,

Lori

--Mae West

I think the resident Seattleites on the board have done a great job of covering all the more haute cuisine places over the years, but here are a few places more on the fun-and-funky side that you might want to consider:

Mae's Phinney Ridge Cafe has lots of fun silly cow decor, and cinnamon rolls that should make Cinnabon hang its head in shame. Also on Phinney Ridge is Red Mill Burgers, whose burgers are fabulous. The Kidd Valley locally-based burger chain is also quite good, and has more outposts than Red Mill--their deep fried mushrooms are fab, and they make great milkshakes. Seattle, IMO, is not all that strong on Mexican cuisine, but Mama's Mexican Kitchen in Belltown (another interesting neighborhood to explore) is great fun--lots of funky campy decor, heavy on the velvet Elvis painting type kitsch.

Edited by mizducky (log)

I think the resident Seattleites on the board have done a great job of covering all the more haute cuisine places over the years, but here are a few places more on the fun-and-funky side that you might want to consider:

Mae's Phinney Ridge Cafe has lots of fun silly cow decor, and cinnamon rolls that should make Cinnabon hang its head in shame. Also on Phinney Ridge is Red Mill Burgers, whose burgers are fabulous. The Kidd Valley locally-based burger chain is also quite good, and has more outposts than Red Mill--their deep fried mushrooms are fab, and they make great milkshakes. Seattle, IMO, is not all that strong on Mexican cuisine, but Mama's Mexican Kitchen in Belltown (another interesting neighborhood to explore) is great fun--lots of funky campy decor, heavy on the velvet Elvis painting type kitsch.

Snark attack - of those places, the only one I would eat in is Red Mill - and I am not even a burger fan. Maybe Kidd Valley, for a milkshake. Mae's and Mama's? Not even for free, and probably not even if you paid me.

Snark attack - of those places, the only one I would eat in is Red Mill - and I am not even a burger fan. Maybe Kidd Valley, for a milkshake. Mae's and Mama's? Not even for free, and probably not even if you paid me.

I agree with tsquare here. While the descriptions of the decor is (are?) spot on, the food at both Mae's and Mama's is awful. And I'm not squeamish about restaurant cleanliness per se, but Mae's lack of cleanliness makes me shudder.

For tacos - I think there is a taco crawl thread here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it. That will give you a good starting point.

For pizza I would recommend Serious Pie, Via Tribunali or Pagliacci.

For a diner - a true diner - gotta be Varsity Inn in Wallingford.

For bakeries - Dahlia Bakery, Macrina, Fresh Flours, Hiroki and Cafe Besalu are my favorites.

I'm not a chocolate fan :shock: so I can't help you there.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I agree with tsquare here. While the descriptions of the decor is (are?) spot on, the food at both Mae's and Mama's is awful. And I'm not squeamish about restaurant cleanliness per se, but Mae's lack of cleanliness makes me shudder.

Well, all this saddens me, because it means that these places, especially Mae's, must have gone seriously downhill since I moved away from Seattle in 2002. In particular, I never noticed Mae's having any kind of cleanliness problem back when I used to eat there.

Now if someone's going to respond that, no, they felt Mae's always sucked even five years ago, well then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :smile: Though I guess the point is now moot ... (pun seriously not intended :laugh: )

In any case, my post seems to have provoked some more specific restaurant recommendations from current Seattle residents, so as far as I'm concerned my work is done here. :wink:

The Seattle-Bainbridge ferry is actually a 35-minute crossing, not 20 (as someone has mentioned above). If you are driving during rush hour on a weekday (any Seattle-bound boat before the 8:45, or any Bainbridge run from the 4:40 to the 6:20), plan to arrive 20 - 40 minutes prior to scheduled departure or you might not get on--it's first-come, first-loaded.

One smart, and cost-efficient, option for lunch is to pick something up at the Town and Country (T&C, the locally owned grocery store on the main drag) and eat on the ferry on your way into town. Check out the sandwich selection (panini and custom sammies), big salad bar, and hot case -- lots of good stuff to choose from.

Top recs for eating on Bainbridge:

Shima Sushi, http://www.shimasushi.com/ -- very good, fairly casual

Four Swallows, http://www.fourswallows.com/ -- fancy option

Treehouse Cafe--good sandwiches, pizza, salads, beer (Guiness on tap) -- way casual

The Harbour Public House--cozy, crowded, no kids allowed: http://www.harbourpub.com/ (Also check out Pegasus coffee--on the same website)

Casa Rojas (do not eat at Isla Bonita!)

Bainbridge Bakers

Mora Ice Cream--expensive but awfully good: http://www.moraicecream.com/

Farmers' market info here: http://www.bainbridgefarmersmarket.com/

Depending on when in October you are coming, it may be getting sparse: unlike markets in Seattle, we don't have any vendors from the east side of the state.

Enjoy your visit....

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Thanks Agnolottigirl for giving me the low down on the ferry and the advice and links for Bainbridge.

Everyone, thanks for the taco info and all the rest--velvet Elvis and ice cream included ;). With the info I've gleaned from other threads I'm ready to plan the intinerary.

I'm very excited and I'll let you know how it all goes down!

Zuke

--Mae West

For tacos - I think there is a taco crawl thread here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it. That will give you a good starting point.

For pizza I would recommend Serious Pie, Via Tribunali or Pagliacci.

For a diner - a true diner - gotta be Varsity Inn in Wallingford.

For bakeries - Dahlia Bakery, Macrina, Fresh Flours, Hiroki and Cafe Besalu are my favorites.

I'm not a chocolate fan :shock: so I can't help you there.

I've never been to Mae's, but can confirm that Mama's is profoundly awful.

• 1 month later...
Second on Mora Ice Cream.  It's exorbitant, but worth it once in a while.  And don't eat any pizza on Bainbridge, it's all horrid!

Clearly, Abra has never been to Treehouse. And actually, Westside can serve up some decent pizza.