• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ordering Food/Cookbooks in French

John Talbott

Because Fmezick@hotmail.com was asking in another topic about ordering the book about Le Meurice and while we have discussed here what publishing houses and sources are good for cookbooks, there is really no topic on the subject of ordering them to mirror that on buying them. Donc, I thought that it might be helpful to have a topic on ordering books; from whom, at good prices and who will ship promptly outside the hexagon.

To start the ball rolling, I'll volunteer that I usually either wait until I'm in Paris to buy stuff from FNAC or order it on line from amazon.fr, but I just Googled French books and got the Rutgers site that says:

“French books can be purchased from

 www.chapitre.com

 www.alapage.fr

 www.fnac.fr

 www.amazon.fr

 www.schoenhofs.com “

Your thoughts?

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Like you, I usually buy at FNAC or order from Amazon.fr.

It should be noted that while it may feel cheaper to buy books and magazines in France, it is becoming more and more difficult to beat the cost of exchange. And at the end of every trip, my husband rags about the weight of the magazines and books that I regularly collect. Subscriptions to magazines and ordering books from amazon and others may not net out to be such an extravagance.

eGullet member #80.

If you live in Paris and want English language cookbooks, you can save a lot by using Amazon.fr to place your order. To do this, I normally find the book that I want on Amazon.com and then search on Amazon.fr using the ISBN number. It ends up being much cheaper to order from Amazon.fr as you avoid shipping costs. Unfortunately, I’m not so sure that this would work in the other direction.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I may have mis-understood the question, but I live in the US, and order books in French on a regular basis from Alapage.fr, with great results. The books arrive within a week, and within 3 days if I use the upgraded service. I learned about this from another discussion board when I was trying to order one of the Pudlo guides. I had tried to get it through Amazon.fr and met with disaster, and I had tried to order it by calling and faxing and e-mailing FNAC with even worse results, and then when I went on Alapage and signed up, I had the book delivered to my door 3 days later by Chronopost. I've been addicted to that site ever since.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Kitchen Arts and Letters in New York is amazing and he has perhaps the best selection of European cookbooks in America. He will also order anything you want, if it's possible.

Cook's Library in Los Angeles is excellent too, although their selection is (I think) mostly English-language cookbooks. And for old or out-of-print cookbooks, Bonnie Slotnick is a good source.

It just occurred to me you might also be asking how to order it from the US.  I recall a topic a while back on ordering books in France but I cannot find it but I think it recommended www.alapage.fr.  I myself have either gotten stuff from FNAC or amazon.fr, but I just Googled French books and got the Rutgers site that says:

“French books can be purchased from

 www.chapitre.com

 www.alapage.fr

 www.fnac.fr

 www.amazon.fr

 www.schoenhofs.com “

I hope this is helpful.

John

books

This is a pretty good shop you should try.

Sorry missed the other post!

Edited by Shirley (log)

I may have mis-understood the question, but I live in the US, and order books in French on a regular basis from Alapage.fr, with great results.  The books arrive within a week, and within 3 days if I use the upgraded service.  I learned about this from another discussion board when I was trying to order one of the Pudlo guides.  I had tried to get it through Amazon.fr and met with disaster, and I had tried to order it by calling and faxing and e-mailing FNAC with even worse results, and then when I went on Alapage and signed up, I had the book delivered to my door 3 days later by Chronopost.  I've been addicted to that site ever since.

Ah ha Mark, it was you I was referring to when I said
I recall a topic a while back on ordering books in France but I cannot find it but I think it recommended www.alapage.fr.
Can you refer us to the topic? Thanks.

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I may have mis-understood the question, but I live in the US, and order books in French on a regular basis from Alapage.fr, with great results.  The books arrive within a week, and within 3 days if I use the upgraded service.  I learned about this from another discussion board when I was trying to order one of the Pudlo guides.  I had tried to get it through Amazon.fr and met with disaster, and I had tried to order it by calling and faxing and e-mailing FNAC with even worse results, and then when I went on Alapage and signed up, I had the book delivered to my door 3 days later by Chronopost.  I've been addicted to that site ever since.

Ah ha Mark, it was you I was referring to when I said
I recall a topic a while back on ordering books in France but I cannot find it but I think it recommended www.alapage.fr.
Can you refer us to the topic? Thanks.

John

Nooooo(oooooo). I don't have that kind of memory :sad: . I can't even find eGullet topics from a month ago :wacko: . I'm very lucky at my age that I can remember "alapage.fr", and in truth I sometimes have to hunt through my inbox to find it. Sorry, John.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's