• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Burke at The Venetian

I've mentioned in some of the other recent Las Vegas dining posts that my friend, John Curtas, is not a big fan of the new David Burke at The Venetian.

I'd count John as probably the top critic on the Las Vegas dining scene. He's got the insight that only a resident critic can put on his resume. I find it refreshing to hear the voice of a local in addition to the posts from my fellow egullet writers who travel to Las Vegas to dine.

John has years of experience writing and commenting on restaurants and he does a regular segment on KNPR radio about the Las Vegas dining scene. You can hear Podcasts of his "Food for Thought," show by going to the KNPR website.

I haven't been to David Burke myself, so I'm not qualified to give you my opinion about dining with David in The Venetian, but knowing John is an accomplished critic, I think you will find his current piece about his dinners at David Burke informative-especially those of you planning trips to Las Vegas.

You can find John's piece on the John Mariani site-just click over to the current Virtual Gourmet Newsletter. John's piece is the first one and he comments about David Burke, B & B Ristorante and Rao's.

I've mentioned in some of the other recent Las Vegas dining posts that my friend, John Curtas, is not a big fan of the new David Burke at The Venetian. 

I'd count John as probably the top critic on the Las Vegas dining scene.  He's got the insight that only a resident critic can put on his resume.  I find it refreshing to hear the voice of a local in addition to the posts from my fellow egullet writers who travel to Las Vegas to dine. 

John has years of experience writing and commenting on restaurants and he does a regular segment on KNPR radio about the Las Vegas dining scene. You can hear Podcasts of his "Food for Thought," show by going to the KNPR website.

I haven't been to David Burke myself, so I'm not qualified to give you my opinion about dining with David in The Venetian, but knowing John is an accomplished critic, I think you will find his current piece about his dinners at David Burke informative-especially those of you planning trips to Las Vegas. 

You can find John's piece on the John Mariani site-just click over to the current Virtual Gourmet Newsletter.  John's piece is the first one and he comments about David Burke, B & B Ristorante and Rao's.

Thanks David for the kind words. Egullet.org folks can access my prior stuff (going back 12 years but only about seven are on the website at KNPR.org. And not to mince words, DB in Vegas is a total misfire....and may soon be the poster child for: WHEN THE REACH OF A CELEBRITY CHEF'S EGO EXCEEDS THE GRASP OF HIS TALENT.

They've already fired the original executive chef, whose name I'll not reveal since he should not be tarnished by the ill-conceived recipes of the Chef/Owner/Guy With Name Above The Door.

And the big coming news to Vegas: Francois Payard will soon open in Caesar's. Prediction: He will be a hit from day one. Caesar's has a very sophisticated and forward-thinking F&B (Food and Beverage) program underway right now---and may soon be the top hotel in Vegas for fine dining (a phrase I abhor, but none other came to mind!).

Best and bon appetit to all,

John Curtas

TheDiningAdvocate....and:

yourfriendlyneighborhoodrestaurantcritic